How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2024, 07:55 PM

Default Session play to fast

Good evening.

I have a session that my band and I recorded years back. Somehow the session plays faster than we played it.

My buddy said he doesn't know what went wrong on the recording.

Other than using elastic audio is there a way to convert it back to the correct speed >?

The session is at 48k, 24bit. and I'm assuming that's wrong since it plays back too fast. Can I can just convert to 44.1, or the other way, like 88, higher ?. thanks.

Last edited by basslik; 01-29-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Session play to fast

How much too fast? I'm guessing it was actually recorded at 44.1K and your system "thinks" its 48K, which will play too fast and pitched up a bit. Try this:
1-create a new session at 44.1K
2-import session data from the original session but DO NOT apply SRC(sample rate conversion) on the import(you may need to check Preferences so that this is not automatic). You will likely get a message saying that things won't play back properly, but ignore this and cross your fingers.

How does this happen? Its really easy if the system it was recorded on used any addition gear that connected via a digital connection. I used to run a DIGI003 with a Focusrite preamp connected to the ADAT input and clocking was set to Optical(ADAT). I always worked at 48K but somehow the Focusrite(the master clock) got switched to 44.1K. When I revisited that session later(having reset the Focusrite to 48K) played too fast. The solution I described solved it for me, so........fingers crossed

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2024, 09:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
How much too fast? I'm guessing it was actually recorded at 44.1K and your system "thinks" its 48K, which will play too fast and pitched up a bit. Try this:
1-create a new session at 44.1K
2-import session data from the original session but DO NOT apply SRC(sample rate conversion) on the import(you may need to check Preferences so that this is not automatic). You will likely get a message saying that things won't play back properly, but ignore this and cross your fingers.

How does this happen? Its really easy if the system it was recorded on used any addition gear that connected via a digital connection. I used to run a DIGI003 with a Focusrite preamp connected to the ADAT input and clocking was set to Optical(ADAT). I always worked at 48K but somehow the Focusrite(the master clock) got switched to 44.1K. When I revisited that session later(having reset the Focusrite to 48K) played too fast. The solution I described solved it for me, so........fingers crossed
I just encountered this from a friend's live recording session yesterday. They had an issue with the drums being imported to their session. All instruments are recorded on 44.1kh and the drums were recorded at 48. Drums played slower after being imported. had to do the same as the above. Opened the drum stems on a new with the correct sample rate and it did fix it for me.

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 01-30-2024, 10:32 AM

Questions to ask before recording something to be imported somewhere else.
“What sample rate and bit depth is your session?” So you can make yours the same.
Saves a lot of headaches down the line by asking a few simple questions up front.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:49 PM

Thank you all.

Creating new session and importing without the conversion worked.

Man I can't tell enough throughout the years how great you folks are on giving your time and expertise to help other, greatly appreciate it from all of you.

(WOW), this was a old recording of my childhood buddy drummer and the first day meeting the guitarist BACK IN 2006 to start a rush tribute band. The guitarist (Brad Goleman) was at one time the top Western region pro audio sales rep for Guitar Center, selling all the high-end locally here in AZ.

Anyhow Albee1952 I do remember he had the Digi 002 hooked up with the Mackie 800R. I think he did have that as the master clock. I always loved the way the Mackie pres sounded in the Mackie 800R Onyx Pres.

My goodness I listen to it and it brings back wonderful memories, and how somewhat good and tight we sounded considering the first time trying out a set.

Will post one of the jams in the appropriate post when I remix the tunes. (THANKS ALL)

Last edited by basslik; 01-30-2024 at 07:32 PM.