Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM

Default HEY, DIGIDESIGN!!!! 6.1 has to be OSX?????

Does 6.x really have to be OSX????? If the reason for OSX is the greater stability vs 9.2, it's a big joke in this case. The joke is on us for all the hassles (just look at the DUC messages) and on you for what it's doing to your reputation for generally providing quality reliable products. I can't remember the last time I've had so much grief trying to get a program to work right. The many problem messages and the fact that you have a very long complicated message with work arounds that don't seem to work too often means that the problem is VERY SERIOUS. Why not provide at least the option of a 6.1 OS 9.2 version? That also saves a lot of hassle with plug in compatibility. What do you other users think? Can we twist a few arms at higher levels? OSX has a nice pretty (but not really more functional) interface, but it sure seems to play havoc with ProTools in a lot of cases. Why burden us and yourselves with this?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:07 AM

Default Re: HEY, DIGIDESIGN!!!! 6.1 has to be OSX?????

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 12:12 AM

whatever man.

OS X rocks all over OS 9.x.

I don't get your post at all. OS 9 is dead. It was a good friend while it lasted.

rob.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:24 AM

Yeah, fine, but if it's such a good friend for ProTools users, then why so many messages from people that can't get 6.0.1 to work with OSX? Why the Digidesign message with a LONG list of workarounds (that don't often work) for getting 6.0.1 to work with OSX? If everybody loves OSX so much, then why was Apple forced to resume and continue with dual OS system? I wish you could share with me the joys that OSX has brought me the last couple of days of not being able to get my ibook to run Mbox with OSX, but no problem with 9.2.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by didger:
Why the Digidesign message with a LONG list
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe that's for peeps that don't read the answerbase, or the compatibility docs, or the documentation like the installation guide, like this guy:
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...848;p=1#000001
Old 07-13-2003, 01:35 AM

Thanks so much for your kind judgement of my intellegence. I read all that stuff and it was only by trying the everything in the duc message that I finally happened to hit on a combination that worked. Having to trash preferences that I never set up in the first place in a freshly installed system is not "user friendly" and is not covered in any normal documentation. Having to leave the MBox disconnected and only plugging it in after the computer is running is totally weird and not explained anywhere as far as I know. Could be you're right, though, that I'm just a dweeb or peep, or whatever. I'm glad this is all so easy and simple for you that you always know just the right thing to read and do with no hassles and no conceivable excuse to get yourself accused of dweebishness or peepishness, or whatever. Again, thanks for your help(?).
Old 07-13-2003, 02:51 AM

Be fair Didger. PT 6.x on OS X is simply better than PT 5.x on OS 9 or even 6.x on OS 9. Not as stable for some users but better. Let's not forget the real potential of PT 6/OS X which is proven higher track/plug-in count and versatility(Rewire 2(!) support etc.). You need a powerful computer to get all this, though. A G4 will probably solve your problem. 6.1 will probably solve all problems. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 02:56 AM

Be fair Didger. PT 6.x on OS X is better than PT 5.x on OS 9. Not as stable for some users but better. Let's not forget the real potential of PT 6/OS X which is proven higher track/plug-in count and versatility(Rewire 2(!) support etc.). You need a powerful computer to get all this, though. A G4 will probably solve your problem. 6.1 will probably solve all problems. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 03:09 AM

Well, now that after 2 days of serious frustration I've finally gotten my ibook OSX Mbox combination to work, I'm willing to consider the possibility that it's all OK. If the problems arose due to the fact that a g3 ibook is just not enough horsepower, then there ought to be a warning to that effect in the Digi compatibility info. This ibook is 100% kosher Digi approved. In any case, the fact that the cure was a combination of re-installing ProTools and deleting preferences is kinda Mickey Mouse. I understand about the desirability of the 6.1 features, especially rewire. I bought a g4 tower just for 6.1 and rewire ProTools and I bought the ibook to do it on the road. I'm more committed to Digidesign and for more bux and for a longer time period than you can imagine. I don't see why 6.1 has to be OSX only, however (unless all the problems get fixed, and soon). Anyway, I hope 6.1 will have a lot less hassles than 6.0.whatever. These hassles are obviously not just my ineptitude or imagination or "unfairness". There's been so many messages and the very existence of that long trouble shooting list from Digidesign means that a lot of people are having a lot of troubles that need "shooting". I'm not knocking OSX, but only the presently marginally functional OSX 6.0.1 combination. I'd really love to hear something reassuring from Digi about improvements in 6.1 to address these many troubles. Windows XP and Mac 9.2 went SO smoothly for me.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D. Weeb:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by didger:
Why the Digidesign message with a LONG list
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe that's for peeps that don't read the answerbase, or the compatibility docs, or the documentation like the installation guide, like this guy:
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...848;p=1#000001
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] he he hehe he he he he he he he.....That WAS FUNNY!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]