Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Update HD Software in the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
HD licenses have technically never been allowed to be transferred without hardware. A while back they finally put a stop to it being able to happen through Ilok period. A native license has always had more freedom and I never knew of any restrictions, though I cant say I ever researched it.
It appears the new EULA applies to all "levels" of PT...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 PM

They aren't really clear on the HD side in their EULA in anyway.

So far as their policy is, no HD software (license rather), can be purchased without the purchase of AVID hardware.

This also leads to the question of whether perpetual licenses will come with AVID hardware. That hasn't been made clear either.

I am under the believe that AVID hardware will no longer come with a perpetual license. Basically, only those who have one now, will continue to have one. Until AVID decides to take those away as well forcing you into a "license lease".

IF you let your "plan" go, you can rebuy the Native software, but not the HD software basically "bricking" your hardware to the version where you stopped your subscription.

So, in that case if you buy a 10k AVID HD system, you are locked into a plan or your hardware will no longer work. Since all new licenses will basically be "rental", you hardware is only as good as long as you continue to pay your plan yearly.
And if you miss it, PT will no longer function.

And to get a "new HD" license, you will need to repurchase the hardware on order to obtain that "rental" license again.

AVID is trying to stick it to the HD users everywhere the sun don't shine.

In terms of "support", "bug fixes", "features".
Do you really think AVID is hiring double the support staff or more to "serve" the users better? NO!
Will AVID be extending their support hours? Like to 24/7? NO!
(have you ever called? Wait times are long and often transferred around)
Will bug fixes be "plentiful and work"? NO!

In fact the more often the release "bug fixes", the more often they are likely to break something else "rushing it to release".
So in reality everyone will be waiting for the "first users" to report back about whether it works or not and you'll still be skipping versions from 3.3 to 3.8, then avoiding 3.9.

Same goes with "features". More and more often doesn't mean better. I suspect a very buggy, crashy, and less stable Pro Tools in our future.

None of this has to do with serving the user base better.

This is all about trying to grow AVID's bottom line, nothing more. Why do you think they are so vague with this policy?

I don't have anything against any company needed to grow their margins, but when it comes at the expense of the client, the bottom line shrinks.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
They aren't really clear on the HD side in their EULA in anyway.

So far as their policy is, no HD software (license rather), can be purchased without the purchase of AVID hardware.

This also leads to the question of whether perpetual licenses will come with AVID hardware. That hasn't been made clear either.

I am under the believe that AVID hardware will no longer come with a perpetual license. Basically, only those who have one now, will continue to have one. Until AVID decides to take those away as well forcing you into a "license lease".
This makes no sense. Why are you led to believe that a perpetual HD license does not come with the purchase of the hardware?? That actually makes no sense considering the hardware is useless without the software.

Quote:
IF you let your "plan" go, you can rebuy the Native software, but not the HD software basically "bricking" your hardware to the version where you stopped your subscription.
We still dont know for sure. All we have is speculation and assumptions. Avid has not released the terms for HD. But its not "bricked" as you own the license that came with it.

Quote:
So, in that case if you buy a 10k AVID HD system, you are locked into a plan or your hardware will no longer work. Since all new licenses will basically be "rental", you hardware is only as good as long as you continue to pay your plan yearly.
And if you miss it, PT will no longer function.
You will still own a perpetual license.

Quote:
And to get a "new HD" license, you will need to repurchase the hardware on order to obtain that "rental" license again.
regardless of what version you own from this point, you still own it. There is 0 reason you would not be eligible to rent or subscribe to HD if you own a license even if the support is expired. That is essentiall what they are promoting. The perpetual license wont just magically disapear.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
This makes no sense. Why are you led to believe that a perpetual HD license does not come with the purchase of the hardware?? That actually makes no sense considering the hardware is useless without the software.

We still dont know for sure. All we have is speculation and assumptions. Avid has not released the terms for HD. But its not "bricked" as you own the license that came with it.

You will still own a perpetual license.

regardless of what version you own from this point, you still own it. There is 0 reason you would not be eligible to rent or subscribe to HD if you own a license even if the support is expired. That is essentiall what they are promoting. The perpetual license wont just magically disapear.
Maybe my thoughts jumped to much and I didn't read what I wrote.

Basically, AVID hasn't said if you get a perpetual license with hardware or 12, 16, 18 month "plan".

I assume that it does come with a license of the version you bought it at. However, it seems more and more than AVID wants to do away with licenses and lease them to you rather than letting you own it.

If your subscription lapses, you have that last version license, never to be upgradable. EVER.
The repurchase of the "license" at 899, is for Vanilla, not HD as you cannot buy a separate HD license without purchasing hardware.

The point is, your hardware is bricked at that version. Let's say version 12.2. You paid up to that version, and they released a new feature you wanted, but it doesn't work.
You now can never get access to that feature even though you paid for it technically because they released a buggy version.

Let's say there was something that happened financially that prevented you from renewing your license the month it was due. We've all been there. We have great years, and crap years.

Since AVID's policy is no HD licenses sold without the purchase of hardware now means in order to get that feature or even 12.2.1 which fixes their broken software, you need to purchase hardware in order to get an HD license.

Their policy is incredibly flawed. It doesn't make you want to own their product or even multiple licenses.
The HD license is expensive for one and knowing that you lose the ability to upgrade said license ever again in the future has turned off a lot of people.

As I have mentioned in another thread, this policy has cured me of wanting to purchase an HD Native system, as well as several of my peers.

If AVID changed their policy, allowing to "renew" even if expired, I think they would have a lot more people comfortable about it.
Lower the HD price to 399 (since your HD users have spent thousands on your hardware AVID) and implement a $99 reactivation fee if it lapses, AVID wouldn't have 2/3's of its users saying they aren't going past PT11.
And it isn't just the audio side. The feeling carries over the the picture editor side as well.

If you remember, Waves tried this extortion tactic back in V5 or 6 and they lost a large part of their user base. Then they changed their policy and price of WUP. In fact they capped the WUP.
They are still trying to get some of their user base back.

The bottom line is AVID has been very unclear with the HD users, their licenses and hardware.

The way it looks to the end user is that AVID is being greedy.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 01-31-2015, 09:47 AM

Judging by vanilla licenses, renting will be cheaper than buying a perpetual license and paying support for the first seven years. I can also picture them making HD rental available to anybody.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I can also picture them making HD rental available to anybody.

This !!! Might make some people happy, and make them some cash at the same time....

It's not for everyone but it might be the first positive PR to come out of the most recent direction
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Judging by vanilla licenses, renting will be cheaper than buying a perpetual license and paying support for the first seven years. I can also picture them making HD rental available to anybody.
Except that it would be a cloud license, not a local license. What happens if you are remote recording? Internet goes down?

In a hotel where they are charging 39 bucks a day for internet wifi access that is flakey?

I doubt you will see HD licenses for anybody. They might as well stop making hardware then.
As it is now, no HD license without the hardware, and you can only transfer the license once, IF AVID lets you.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM

I'm not talking about the free version. There is a huge hint of forthcoming HD rental on the version comparison page only the link doesn't go anywhere. My guess is that this would be rolled out at NAB next month.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about the free version. There is a huge hint of forthcoming HD rental on the version comparison page only the link doesn't go anywhere. My guess is that this would be rolled out at NAB next month.
Just because there is no working link, doesn't mean that is what they are going to do.
I see they changed PT 12 instrument tracks from 64 to 128.

Also, it seems that Pro Tools express 12 is the only version that can still use RTAS.

I would say that it was rushed and poorly put together and nothing more.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 01-31-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Will be a relief when we finally hear the whole story for HD licenses! But since there is no way - yet - to "buy one" it is still quite the guessing game as to what the subscription price will be.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html