Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Quality of \"Bounce to Disk\" in question??

Perhaps Digidesign could chime in hear.
I've read posts that advise not to use the bounce to disk feature in Pro Tools for SRC.
Complaints have ranged from perceived degradation of audio quality to lower volume post bounce.
One comment directed this perceived issue as being "old code".
Recording a stereo track of the mix and then exporting seems to be the offered work around.

Are others noticing this?
Is this a real issue or merely a psychological tick?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Quality of \"Bounce to Disk\" in question??

There are two main reasons to "Record to disk" (RTD) rather than bounce. What some of us have found is BTD drops automation on automation heavy mixes. You can actually hear it as the BTD process is happening. Again this is "automation heavy" mixes. What that means depends on the amount of processing your system can handle.

RTD also lets you drop in on certain sections of your mix if the label, artist, or producer wants to make a change to the mix. Let's say they want the vocals and the snare pushed 2 dB in the first chorus. Instead of "bouncing" the entire track again, select the first chorus, drop the track into record and voila, a twenty second fix instead of a 4 minute wait.

Erik
Old 01-01-2007, 07:26 PM

i use RTD on important mixes

i use destructive mode so i can go in later and tweak without having to play the entire song

that is a sweet feature

not to mention the fact that i feel my automation better replicated

Old 01-01-2007, 09:11 PM

I've always been curious about this. Why is BTD in PT different from just playing the sequence? Is the software for BTD in PT some old code that needs to be rewritten?

I often use bounce in Logic Pro, and within that application, it looks and sounds like the sequence playing in a normal manner. All the faders move as they should, etc.

Are there any plans to improve BTD in PT?

Lee Blaske