Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Abit KV8 Max 3 mainboard compatibility??

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my system and am thinking about getting one of the new AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processors. The board I am looking at is the Abit KV8 Max 3, which uses the VIA K8T800 chipset. I'm just wondering if anyone else has either or both of these components in their system and what the performance is like. Any other information from anyone at all on either will be most appreciated! The main question I have is whether Pro Tools supports this board and chipset. So far I haven't been able to find any answers. Hopefully one of you computer buffs can help!

Cheers,

Rowan C.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Abit KV8 Max 3 mainboard compatibility??

There are plenty of people using the new Athlon 64 3000 , 3200 and 3400 now with PTLE and performance has been great. Most desktop systems use the Asus K8V motherboard posted on the first post of the Best Desktop for PTLE thread above. It uses the same chipset as the Abit you are looking at. I'd stick with Asus for best compatibility with PTLE.
Good luck,
Allen
Old 03-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks Allen, I got your reply on the other thread aswell. I can get a pretty good price on this board so I'm kinda keen to use it if I can. Do you know why Asus seems to be the stock of Pro Tools users? Is it just because it's what everyone happens to be using, or is there an actual significant compatibility benefit with their boards? If there is then I think I'd probably be best to run with the Asus as you suggest. Just curious...

Cheers,

Rowan C.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:28 PM

bump....anyone else wanna take a punt?
Old 03-07-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks Allen, I got your reply on the other thread aswell. I can get a pretty good price on this board so I'm kinda keen to use it if I can. Do you know why Asus seems to be the stock of Pro Tools users? Is it just because it's what everyone happens to be using, or is there an actual significant compatibility benefit with their boards? If there is then I think I'd probably be best to run with the Asus as you suggest. Just curious...

Cheers,

Rowan C.
It has been hit and miss with Abit boards and PTLE. I can't imagine that big of a price difference since the K8V is already priced low at www.newegg.com
Most of the issues in the past has been with the hard drive controllers and drivers. Those Hi-Point controllers didn't work so well. I know of one person here using an Abit board though that really likes it and is using it to overclock an XP2500+.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 03-07-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Most of the issues in the past has been with the hard drive controllers and drivers. Those Hi-Point controllers didn't work so well.
What sort of problems have there been? And is there any way to tell if this board would suffer from the same?

Thanks for your help on this!