Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2023, 09:53 PM

Default Account update

I've been using Pro Tools on PC for 20-25 years so I've always been Perpetual as far as the account license is concerned. Through the years, there is always an update. The last one that I did was in 2019. Since then, things have changed and there is a fee involved. When I boot the computer up, there is an update icon to click on. I didn't want to click it if it meant that it would automatically change my Perpetual standing because I will be releasing a project soon and don't want to lose my music or have any problems. Can you tell me where to look in my account that would answer my question or maybe you can tell me just based on what I've said. The question is, as a user with a Perpetual license, will clicking on the update change my status?
Old 09-22-2023, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Account update

Where is it telling you to update exactly? Are you talking about OS update or Pro Tools update?

Posting a screen shot will help.

Updating the OS will not change your perpetual status. In fact, nothing will change your perpetual status. That's what perpetual means.

What could happen is the OS may need an update which could render your version of Pro Tools obsolete for that OS version.

Either way, we need more info from you to provide an appropriate answer.

"Help us help you"

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 09-22-2023, 11:05 PM

You really are not asking folks here if you should upgrade anything while heading towards a project completion?

------

What *exactly* is telling you about an upgrade? Where does the message happen? From what app? Exactly what does it say?

Is this app manager or Avid Link? App Manager was a flakey disaster, Avid Link which replaced it is unfortunately not a lot better. (I just can't remember when that replacement happened). Many people here do not trust them at all and we remove Avid Link immediately after installing Pro Tools. Windows Uninstaller for that is in the standard place, uninstall it now if that's installed.

If you are seeing one of these recommend an upgrade to you and you don't have a valid license for that version then what you are seeing is proof this stuff is a steaming mess (although maybe you were supposed to have updated to a more recent version of Avid Link... and now the tools that are supposed to make management easier needs more attention from users to manage them so they work correctly. It's a Monty Python sketch... and while you are working out what peg to put your coat on a Tuesday, you get slapped in the face by a fish...).

You should have uninstalled App Manager or Avid Link after Pro Tool was installed. Many many posts on DUC suggesting that. If you did not please do it now.

------

Now useful stuff for some time later after you finish your current project.

You installed *something* in 2019, but what exact version of Pro Tools was it? Pro Tools>About

And to answer the question about what license do you have now? ...

Have you been paying annual support/update fee? If so you should have a license to the latest Pro Tools 2023.9. If you have not been paying that annual fee you will not have rights to anything like any current version of Pro Tools. But congratulations Avid today just made it easier/cheaper to buy back into support/updates when you are ready

And how do you tell for sure? Open ILM to look at the Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle License, select the bundle and click on the details button and look at the Release Limit date at the bottom... your license will not activate versions of Pro Tools released after that date.

And what Windows Versions are you running? You should be checking things are compatible before doing any updates. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart On Windows 10 you should not have too many issues here, but get used to checking. And just never ever trust Avid Link. Your profile says Windows 7, if you are on Windows 7 you need to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 to run anything recent.

Did I mention not to trust Avid Link and you should uninstall it?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-24-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:01 PM

It is the AVID symbol and it says "Update Available." I've been getting these for years. I click on it and it adds what it adds to Pro Tools.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:48 PM

Default Account update

I've been using Pro Tools on PC since 2006 so I've always been Perpetual (free) as far as the account license is concerned. Through the years, there is always an update yearly. The last one that I did was in 2019. The attachment shows the one I get now. If I click it and do the update, I don't know whether or not it will take me into the pay status that Pro Tools now has or not. That's what I am asking for help with. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVID NOTIFICATION.jpg (49.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-23-2023, 09:06 PM

You are asking the same question you asked in this thread here…

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...51#post2681451

Please do not post the same question in multiple threads.

Regarding your perpetual license. That picture does not give much information other than you are using Avid Link. It was suggested to you not to use Avid Link. If you want to know what updates are available for your perpetual license you should login to your Avid account and look under My Products. This will show you all the versions of Pro Tools that are available to you before your support plan expired. Simply updating to any version available to you in your account will not put you into an automatic payment.

In addition, I do not believe there have been free updates for perpetual license holders who have not had an annual update and support plan
Old 09-24-2023, 01:14 AM

Merged.

Please only ask once, multiple threads will not give you multiple (useful) answers. On the contrary, people may consider it spamming and ignore the question.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You really are not asking folks here if you should upgrade anything while heading towards a project completion?

------

What *exactly* is telling you about an upgrade? Where does the message happen? From what app? Exactly what does it say?

Is this app manager or Avid Link? App Manager was a flakey disaster, Avid Link which replaced it is unfortunately not a lot better. (I just can't remember when that replacement happened). Many people here do not trust them at all and we remove Avid Link immediately after installing Pro Tools. Windows Uninstaller for that is in the standard place, uninstall it now if that's installed.

If you are seeing one of these recommend an upgrade to you and you don't have a valid license for that version then what you are seeing is proof this stuff is a steaming mess (although maybe you were supposed to have updated to a more recent version of Avid Link... and now the tools that are supposed to make management easier needs more attention from users to manage them so they work correctly. It's a Monty Python sketch... and while you are working out what peg to put your coat on a Tuesday, you get slapped in the face by a fish...).

You should have uninstalled App Manager or Avid Link after Pro Tool was installed. Many many posts on DUC suggesting that. If you did not please do it now.

------

Now useful stuff for some time later after you finish your current project.

You installed *something* in 2019, but what exact version of Pro Tools was it? Pro Tools>About

And to answer the question about what license do you have now? ...

Have you been paying annual support/update fee? If so you should have a license to the latest Pro Tools 2023.9. If you have not been paying that annual fee you will not have rights to anything like any current version of Pro Tools. But congratulations Avid today just made it easier/cheaper to buy back into support/updates when you are ready

And how do you tell for sure? Open ILM to look at the Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle License, select the bundle and click on the details button and look at the Release Limit date at the bottom... your license will not activate versions of Pro Tools released after that date.

And what Windows Versions are you running? You should be checking things are compatible before doing any updates. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart On Windows 10 you should not have too many issues here, but get used to checking. And just never ever trust Avid Link. Your profile says Windows 7, if you are on Windows 7 you need to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 to run anything recent.

Did I mention not to trust Avid Link and you should uninstall it?
It is the AVID logo with a message saying that there is an update available.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:44 PM

Yes. We get that. This is the separate app called Avid Link that starts running after your computer boots. You posted a screenshot, we replied to that. We explained what it is. I don't follow why you are still going on about this. We asked, you clarified. Done.

But we also suggested you uninstall Avid Link. Have you done that yet?

Please read my long reply above. I outlined all the information that would help here. But the fundamental are what *exact* version of Pro Tools do you have installed now (what exactly does it say in Pro Tools>About screen?) and what exact iLok license do you have (if it's really old version it may not have a release limit date shown, but we still need to know what the exact license is, post a screenshot of the license in ILM if you are not sure).

You just need to focus on answering those questions.

What its2loud and I are trying to do (when I'm not being sarcastic, sorry about that) is make sure that Avid Link does not hurt you. You instinct to stop and ask what is going on here is great. Avid Link can at times lead you down a dark alley and stab you in the neck, and the only way to know that is going on here is for you to answer the questions asked. Even without that, I'd still uninstall Avid Link... and you can upgrade manually, and we'll tell you exactly what your license will let you upgrade to.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfearr View Post
snip ... because I will be releasing a project soon
Never update an OS or software when you're close to delivering a product. It is asking for trouble.