Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 05:26 AM

Default PT crashes when changing Playback Engine

Hi there folks,

Still ironing out bugs fron a new upgrade to PT 7.2, a dual 2.3 G5 and and Expansion HD. I'm having problems with Pro Tools and changing anything in the Playback engine. When I try to change the buffer size or ADC size I get the following mesage:

"Pro Tools is unable to reaquire the hardware because it is in use by another program. Please quit other applications and hit "OK" to retry". If the hardware cannot be aquired, please quit and relaunch Pro Tools"

I can hit OK several times and it never reacquires the hardware.. So I hit quit and I get:

"DAE error -1146 was encountered"

and finally this:

"The application Pro Tools quit unexpectedly."

Then I must power down all the gear (computer, IO, Expansion chassis" and power up again. last time I did this the Expansion Chassis would not turn off with the switch on the front panel and I had to pull the plug.

Any ideas?
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 09-23-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: PT crashes when changing Playback Engine

Hi,

I know MDW(massenburg design works EQ) version 1 used to cause this! are you using MDW v1 in the session?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Well apparently it is still not fixed. I have ver. 2. If I make all my MDW EQs inactive, the problem goes away.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 PM

You've actually got two problems. If the chassis won't turn off, you have a switch that's on the way out and you need to get it fixed before you cause more damage. Yanking out a plug is a bad idea, because you're messing with the ground at the same time you're powering down. Until you get it fixed, at least hook the chassis up to some kind of power strip that you can switch off.

Regarding the other problem, have you tried trashing all the usual suspect files?

Lee Blaske
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Well apparently it is still not fixed. I have ver. 2. If I make all my MDW EQs inactive, the problem goes away.
Hi,

How bizarre!! i thought it was fixed in version 2! i have just re-bought v2 (as i was fedup with Waves linear phase EQ suffering from bad zipper noise when adjusting or automationg!) and i have been changing my HW buffer quite a lot, especially when running with ableton live and Melodyne. i'm not in front of my rig right now, but i'm going to check this laterz.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Avid

The MDW EQ is known to be problematic yet - not just with the Expansion HD, but with Pro Tools in general. We're hoping to get an update sometime soon.

As for the other problems - you absolutely MUST make sure that all plug-ins have been updated to the latest versions. After doing so, trash preference and database files and try everything again.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 AM

I hear ya on checking the plugins. I do have to say that it is pretty amazing to me that a plugin made be George Massenburg has had such a rocky bug history. Maybe it's superior sound is what causes the problems. I dunno...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The MDW EQ is known to be problematic yet - not just with the Expansion HD, but with Pro Tools in general. We're hoping to get an update sometime soon.

i reported this bug 6 months ago!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM

I get this same problem ever since 7.2cs2.

G5 Quad 10.4.6
Expansion HD
HD3 accel + 2process
7.1cs8 and 7.2cs2

So far I've only had this crash when running an SSL Duende, but that could just be a coicidence. I am using the MDW from the newest Massivepack.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:24 AM

I had three instances of the George M v-2 UBV running last night and the bass track that the three band version of the eq was on would not play back the audio. Then when I would remove the plugin from the track I would get error after error message. First error was a -(6032) A track has an invalid TDM conection. Make sure all tracks are assigned to a valid output. The next error was (-7100). Then after I removed all three eq plugs from the session I would get the error (-7100) each time after I press the spacebar for play. Then Protools HD 7.2.1cs2 would quit. I am using a MacPro 2.66, The latest Universal binary version of the George M Eq. Protools HD Accel-1 for (PCIE)! This is very upsetting since I just paid $120.00 to get this plugin updated and it will not work. Also when using the master bypass on the plugin and toggeling it back & forth it will not bypass properly and sometimes switches out of the bypassed mode that is being visualy represented on the plugin. Please fix these issues soon! Thank's