Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Default PT HD TDM running native how to voice count?

I started running my PT HD 2 natively (with the RME Fireface 800) so that I could get 256 tracks. I have very heavy session and I am getting buffer errors (warnings to remove plugins). How do I find out how many voices I am currently using? The PT system's usage info does not report voice usage when in native mode. I would like to know how many voices I need to loose to avoid these errors. Also, if I change the video to 720p (I am running 1920X1080) will that make a noticeable difference in the computer processing?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: PT HD TDM running native how to voice count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Also, if I change the video to 720p (I am running 1920X1080) will that make a noticeable difference in the computer processing?
Changing the resolution will not have a significant impact on the processing. Changing the codec might. What codec are you using?

Your minimum voice count will be however many tracks you have (mono, stereo, 5.1, etc.). You will have to do the math.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Re: PT HD TDM running native how to voice count?

I am using Pro-Res 422. I have the Blackmagic cars (the expensive one) but even if I send the video out of the PCI it doe snot soften the load on the CPU. The buffer error says to "remove plugins" (it does not say that I am running out of voices) and the CPU meter is running at about 65%. I reduced the Delay Comp to "short" (to save resources). Video and audio play from different firewire 800 drives.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM

how much RAM do you have
what output(s) are you using?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM

UPDATE: I think found the problem. It appears that the Vmeters which I was using on one of the 5.1 master buses are hogging extensive computer processing power. Without Vmeters, (same exact session) the CPU averages 25%, as soon as I put Vmeters in 5.1 config, the CPU jumps upwards and the CPU averages 55+%. I will now remove all the Vmeters, use the Dorroughs instead, and see how the system performs.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM

I run native all the time, and I wish there was a proper voice count meter somewhere. AFAIK, it's simply not there.

I assume you're mixing at this point, so do you have your buffer turned all the way up? Have you quit other apps? How's the performance with video turned off (cmd-shift-J)? What Mac are you on? Are you using any exotic plug-ins or VI's that might be maxing out an individual processor? (print these)

At worst, you'll have to try making groups of tracks inactive to find the place where the system starts to choke. Newer Intel chips obviously have more 'headroom' in this regard.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Well, even after I removed Vmeters, (now my CPU is averaging 20%) I am still getting tons of -6101. I am not running any other apps (just Pro-tools). Video on line or off line makes no difference.

I am running a fast 2 X 2.268 Ghz mac wih 14 gigs of Ram, Snow Leopard. Pro-Tools HD 10.3

Plugins are: Equality (all tracks), Cedar DNS (8 tracks with multiple instances each), 5.1 buses with Waves c360 for sfx, Nugen ISL, as few as possible digi compressors, Waves IRL (in efficient mode for dark sfx), Revolver (efficient mode for ambiance), etc.

This session runs perfect on TDM (not a single glitch) and I thought Native would work but am getting about 60% of the power of the TDM (the session chokes with the buffer error every minute or so). I got the Fireface to run native as I have to increase the track count for the many, many, separate stems and M&E outputs that the broadcaster needs. I have not even added those new buses, as I can't get the system to even play the session back properly.

The buffer is now at max, the delay comp is shortest, disk cash on or off makes no difference, and I tried the CPU from 85% to 99% (same problem with no change). The processors were set to 8 for RTAS (I changed it to 7 to be in the odd number) but nothing seems to help.

If the CPU is averaging at 20% , with no red CPU spikes, why is this error coming up all the time? may be the error is wrong and there is another problem like firewire bandwidth?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM

What is your buffer setting? I find for RTAS intensive stuff, it has to be 1024. 512 doesn't cut it.

I have also found this problem in session with lots of instances of EQuality. I am not accusing, or saying there is a causal relationship. Mr. Gamble does good work. But I wonder about many instances of any RTAS on a TDM... I get this all the time, and I reduce the instances and up the buffer.

Also, how "clean" is your machine? You run maintenance on it lately?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
What is your buffer setting? I find for RTAS intensive stuff, it has to be 1024. 512 doesn't cut it.

I have also found this problem in session with lots of instances of EQuality. I am not accusing, or saying there is a causal relationship. Mr. Gamble does good work. But I wonder about many instances of any RTAS on a TDM... I get this all the time, and I reduce the instances and up the buffer.

Also, how "clean" is your machine? You run maintenance on it lately?
Buffer is set at 1024. I have equality on every single track. If I run TDM, it is perfect but what I mean is: all the plugins in this session are RTAS there are NO TDM plugs. So even when I run the system on TDM I am not using a single TDM plugin.

I am also getting my master buses stopping from passing sound randomly. There is something seriously wrong with my system right now. I'll dig a bit more over the weekend but, on Monday I just may go back to TDM. The extra 64 tracks I get from Native are not worth these problems.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Buffer is set at 1024. I have equality on every single track. If I run TDM, it is perfect but what I mean is: all the plugins in this session are RTAS there are NO TDM plugs. So even when I run the system on TDM I am not using a single TDM plugin.

I am also getting my master buses stopping from passing sound randomly. There is something seriously wrong with my system right now. I'll dig a bit more over the weekend but, on Monday I just may go back to TDM. The extra 64 tracks I get from Native are not worth these problems.