Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2021, 07:03 AM

Default Re: June update - hybrid info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibS View Post
Either put the track in lightning mode or turn off the Hybrid Engine in your Playback Engine dialog.

Unfortunately, you can't selectively have some plugins in DSP and some Native within the Hybrid engine. It kind of makes the whole thing useless to me, really.
I am confident you are incorrect above

As I have seen hybrid mix engine do exactly what you say above can’t be done.

(Someone else’s rig)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM

I did my best to look thru the 1,500 page protools 2021.6 users guide PDF to try to find specific details about hybrid mix engine, but could not find it.

Am I blind and it is there?

Info such as tips to best use hybrid mix engine with HDX cards

Any PDF user guide (specific to HDX and ultimate and hybrid mix engine) floating around? I can’t find it.
…..
And I assume you can select a range of tracks and Option click on the lightning bolt ⚡️ a Mac to put a range of tracks all into DSP mode at once?
Old 06-25-2021, 07:37 AM

It’s pretty clear. You can mix DSP and Native plug-ins in the same session. You just can’t mix them on the same track! One workaround for using native plug-ins on a DSP track is to stick the Native plug-in on an Aux track and put the Aux track in DSP safe mode.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
It’s pretty clear. You can mix DSP and Native plug-ins in the same session. You just can’t mix them on the same track! One workaround for using native plug-ins on a DSP track is to stick the Native plug-in on an Aux track and put the Aux track in DSP safe mode.
Thanks for the tips

Perhaps a moderator (or anyone) could post a link to a PDF where I can read more?

It isn’t clear to me without reading some detailed AVID info.

Away from my rig these days so can’t just figure it out.

Thx.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:44 AM

What is it you are trying to figure out?
In Hybrid mode you can't mix DSP with Native on the same track.
With Hybrid turned of on an HDX system you can mix DSP with Native on the same track, the way it has always been.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
What is it you are trying to figure out?
In Hybrid mode you can't mix DSP with Native on the same track.
With Hybrid turned of on an HDX system you can mix DSP with Native on the same track, the way it has always been.
I dont know what i dont know

i am just trying to RTFM

Old 06-25-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
I did my best to look thru the 1,500 page protools 2021.6 users guide PDF to try to find specific details about hybrid mix engine, but could not find it.

Am I blind and it is there?

Info such as tips to best use hybrid mix engine with HDX cards

Any PDF user guide (specific to HDX and ultimate and hybrid mix engine) floating around? I can’t find it.
…..
And I assume you can select a range of tracks and Option click on the lightning bolt ⚡️ a Mac to put a range of tracks all into DSP mode at once?
Hi,

There is good info in the latest reference guide starting on pg 1153. Hope this helps!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-25-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
It would be really great if DSP tracks could be set to automatically switch back to native after recording. As it is now, they stay in DSP mode with all downstream tracks. This is a great update though!
Humm I had to think about that because in my work flow I usually have about 10 tracks set up in DSP mode in my session templates 8 mono audio tracks and two stereo Aux tracks and would not want them all turning off after recording on only one or two, especially because of wanting the downstream tracks to stay in DSP as I record sets of one or two audio tracks. And I don't find leaving the previously recorded tracks in DSP to be an issue

SO I am assuming you mean just the track/s you had just recorded and just took out of record ? Then also it is so quick simply hit the DSP button on as single track or highlight multiple tracks and use the Key command to take them all out or into DSP . So I am not sure how much time you would actually be saving.

I suppose It could be simply a difference of actual workflow ??

I do however have my DSP preference globally set so tracks automatically go into DSP when I hit either the Record Enable or Input Monitor buttons.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-25-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
…..
Yes you can.. Below is a quick video using Carbon Hybrid I did, where I do exactly that
Now I am assuming everything is the same between Carbon and HDX Hybrid. The only workflow difference I am aware of is that in HDX you can toggle the playback engine between either Hybrid or Classic (classic if say for example for recording you definitely want to have both Native only and DSP plugins on the same track.

So anyway in this video you will see me toggle multiple tracks into and out of DSP mode ( note as far as performance numbers this is the built in Carbon DSP card) which has 8 actual DSP chips, where each HDX card has 18 so I am assuming twice the power for processing

https://youtu.be/0Qz2lcE9I0Y

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-25-2021 at 12:39 PM.