Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Lots of questions

I was wondering if I had a 16 track session which = 1 Song, is there anyway to render it into one wav file so I can burn it on to a CD?

And if I had 16 full blown songs recorded into one session which = 16 songs/Tracks, is there any way to render each individual track into a wav so I can burn it?

I noticed in 6.0 there is a folder named Grooves with files that end in extention .grv. What are those and how come PT or I tunes doesnt reconize those files?

Since I switched from PC to Mac I lost my kazzaa account cuz it doesnt work with MAC, Is there any Peer 2 Peer File Sharing Programs out for us Mac users?
I got a new 120 gig external hard drive would you recommend installing Pro Tools 6.0 into the external hard drive?

Why is it when I went thru a bad recording session and at the end I choose not to save it, but it still saves?

How come every time I change the tempo to a track the track doesnt change at all?

Is there any way to change the pitch of the WAV?
Sorry for all these questions but im new to Mac and PT.
I used to run a PC with the ACID program.
OWC Mercury Elite 120GB Hard Drive
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Event TR8 Powered Monitors
Old 02-27-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Lots of questions

So.... a communist and a thief.......
Old 02-27-2003, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Communist:
I was wondering if I had a 16 track session which = 1 Song, is there anyway to render it into one wav file so I can burn it on to a CD?

And if I had 16 full blown songs recorded into one session which = 16 songs/Tracks, is there any way to render each individual track into a wav so I can burn it?

I noticed in 6.0 there is a folder named Grooves with files that end in extention .grv. What are those and how come PT or I tunes doesnt reconize those files?

Since I switched from PC to Mac I lost my kazzaa account cuz it doesnt work with MAC, Is there any Peer 2 Peer File Sharing Programs out for us Mac users?
I got a new 120 gig external hard drive would you recommend installing Pro Tools 6.0 into the external hard drive?

Why is it when I went thru a bad recording session and at the end I choose not to save it, but it still saves?

How come every time I change the tempo to a track the track doesnt change at all?

I used to run a PC with the ACID program.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Bounce to disk. It's in the manual.
2. Bounce to disk. It's in the manual.
3. The .grv files are groove templates for midi drum grooves as far as i know. It's in the new 6.0 manual.
4. I haven't used p2p on my mac in a while, so I'm not sure what's currently out there. BTW, I don't think you're a thief just because you use p2p. There's a million legal things you can do with p2p.
5. No. Install the PT application to your system or other internal drive. Use the external drive for Session files and audio files ONLY. In other words, when you create a new session, save it to the external drive. This way you will keep your system drive (and your apps) from becoming too fragmented with billions of audio files and also you can periodically wipe your audio drive after backing up and keep it running smoothly.
6. It doesn't. You must be doing something to save it. There is an auto backup feature (that's covered in the manual), but that doesn't save over your main session. It does create a backup file every few minutes that would have new saves.
7. Changing the tempo only changes the grid reference and does absolutely nothing to audio. It does however change MIDI. This is covered in the manual.
8. I think there's an included DIGI plug in that will change the pitch- there are many 3rd party plugs that will do this too.

Hope I've answered your questions. I'm not just trying to be a smart a** about the manual thing, but I am trying to point out that part of owning PT is reading the manual and learning 1. how to use it, 2. about all the features you never knew about. I'm a fairly experienced PT user and I STILL keep my manual right by my computer and I STILL learn something new every week.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Joe did a really great job of answering your questions while I was composing my own, but since it took me awhile as well, I'll go ahead and post it...

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PT Reference Guide: Chapter 29: Mixdown
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What's New in Pro Tools 6.0: Editing Features: DigiGroove Templates
PT Reference Guide: Page 318: DigiGroove Templates
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, install Pro Tools on your OS X startup drive, and use a separate drive dedicated as a recording drive to record and playback. See the Getting Started with Mbox and PT Reference Guide.
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PT Reference Guide: Chapter 6: Sessions: Saving a Session (and also Preferences: AutoSave)
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">PT Reference Guide: Chapter 21: Conductor Tracks and Memory Locations: Tempo and MIDI and Audio
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DigiRack Plug-Ins Guide: DigiRack AudioSuite Plug-Ins: Pitch Shift
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There's a lot to learn, and a lot to read. Use the Find command after you open the PDFs in your Pro Tools/Release Notes & Documentation folder and you can often find the answers fairly quickly. For instance, I found most of the information above that way, doing Finds for DigiGroove, AutoSave, and Pitch.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:17 AM

Welcome to the Mac side of things. Try www.download.com for a p2p. I don't use one. So I'm not sure which one is best.

Wiz
Old 02-27-2003, 10:20 AM

Hey you guys thanks alot! See when I bounce a track this is what happens, One track get saved as 2 wav files left/right. When I open I Tunes all those tracks that I bounced to Wavs are not being reconized" Meaning that I cant choose them". I have been reading the guide and I even bought that Producing with Pro Tools Book. Some of the tech talk just really throws me off. But for having the M-Box for only 2 days from completely converting from PC Acid 4.0 to PowerBook Mac PT 6.0"Im learning both OSX and PT I think im doing aighhttt !!! I started running away from PC/Windows and I never looked back ! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <Ohhhhhh Weeeee!!!
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Old 02-27-2003, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Communist:
Hey you guys thanks alot! See when I bounce a track this is what happens, One track get saved as 2 wav files left/right. When I open I Tunes all those tracks that I bounced to Wavs are not being reconized" Meaning that I cant choose them". I have been reading the guide and I even bought that Producing with Pro Tools Book. Some of the tech talk just really throws me off. But for having the M-Box for only 2 days from completely converting from PC Acid 4.0 to PowerBook Mac PT 6.0"Im learning both OSX and PT I think im doing aighhttt !!! I started running away from PC/Windows and I never looked back ! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <Ohhhhhh Weeeee!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's because you are not selecting the right options in the Bounce dialog. You have to choose "stereo interleaved" and 16 bit/44.1 for it to be a CD-ready track.

Once again pg 401 of the manual really clearly explains this!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:37 PM

there's also www.limewire.com

I also agree that using P2P does not = thievery.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:17 PM

Average Joe Thats what I was missing! Thank You Thank You Thank You! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And that goes to the rest of you! P2P = Thievery? This is my philosophy if its free then take advantage of it before they start charging.
M-Box PT 6.1.2
Korg Triton
MidiSport 1x1
Old 02-28-2003, 12:07 AM

I just checked this P2P out for OSX

Xlife

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason