Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Default InMusic VP of SW Dev On PTE Pod Cast...Astonishing!

You gotta hear this!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...er-hruska.html

Well Jennifer here are my thoughts as expressed on PTE and since I'm "moderated" there they might not see the light of day...

Listened to the POD cast. First, thank you Russ for getting InMusic to actually respond and I understand you had time constraints to just get an interview.

Nice to her say "InMusic has been a hardware company and I'm trying to take them into software."

Personal observation: EPIC FAIL!

Trying to placate customers by saying, essentially, "Hey! We threw in two more VIs so this is what you get and how you get it, so quit your bitching!"
just don't cut it.

Nice of her to throw Jack O'Donnell under the bus as well with "It was Jack's decision to include Loom and Vacuum Pro ".

Now can we get to the point of your disaster in management oversight of this rollout?

I am quite a bit disappointed in their continued excuse of laying this mess totally at the feet of DR. There was no explanation regarding the screwed up
packages and broken installers customers have reported.

Now 66GB of product to push out to an individual customer is HUGE, no question. Multiply that by 10,000+ orders InMusic was chest thumping about in
the first week of release and the result is...where we are.

I personally spoke with DR twice over the last week.

Guess what? it is up to THE CUSTOMER to judge the amount of bandwidth and server resources needed and DR pricing is based on THAT. AND if you are
releasing product on a worldwide basis they recommend distributing that across their global network which of course, costs more.

The admission that upon product release, the bandwidth/server resources they contracted for "were brought to their knees" is an admission they didn't
take that recommendation.

Now consider the installed base of AIR users vs. SoniVox users. One is a GLOBAL brand and the other, quite frankly, is boutique at best. Hence the "inability
to see" the scale of resources required to rollout product, let alone a HUGE product, on a global basis.

One thing is now perfectly clear. They figured they had finished product with a HUGE customer base and if they got it out "on the cheap" they could make
a killing financially, cover the acquisition costs and then some, and have a continuing revenue stream with this product and anything else they get from Avid
which includes AIR VIs.

Of other concern is, by her own admission, is that they knew from the beginning the number of DVDs which would be needed to create a COMPLETE set of
Backups and that 3 of the VIs would NOT be on those that customers purchased via DR.

Yet only now are customers are finding that out from THIS Pod cast and the ONLY way to get those 3 VIs is via DL.

Their web store said and continues to say NOTHING about that and customers DID NOT/ARE NOT getting what they paid/pay for.

Finally, I was quite taken back by her attitude towards the quality of the Backup Discs generated by DR "as a service" and how dismissive she was. THEN
toss in the attitude that came with the statement "it would add $100 to the cost of the entire package if customers want a COMPLETE set of DVDs. Maybe
we could offer that at EXTRA COST...it's something to consider."!

Well hell lady, that's what they expected to get in the first place and now your think "It's something to consider"...at EXTRA COST??

So customers are SCREWED! It was quite clear to me she has NO intention of honoring the FULL set Backup Discs.

These people are going to get their asses sued off if they don't step up to the plate and honor those Backup Disc orders as customers expected to get.

Already, the amount of customer "Chargebacks" on their credit cards is astonishing.

Welcome to "The Big Leagues" Jennifer. If you want to save this company's reputation and it's financial solvency, what little is left thanks to your
mismanagement, then it's time to honor your commitments to your customers, not tell them to pound sand.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Re: InMusic VP of SW Dev On PTE Pod Cast...Astonishing!

" It was quite clear to me she has NO intention of honoring the FULL set Backup Discs."
+1
Why else get them if not for the download size!

That whole podcast said nothing relevant.
Get 70GB on Gobble and send out the downloads.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Relax.

Bandwidth problems are not significant. At least I was able to download what I wanted, but the real problem was that downloads were not relevant. Some PC users got a Mac file, and most of us got DMGPART files that were not from the same image.

Once they get a solid release to the servers, we'll start downloading again. Why this happened in the first place is a mystery. They had plenty of time to test the downloads, and if they didn't well we can blame them for a reason.

Now let us just calm down and let them fix the issue. Then hit the servers again.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM

THE one question that was never asked and I would have NAILED her on right out of the gate:

"Let me ask you this question, and I guarantee you won't like it....How in Gods name could you release a MAJOR product rollout on a global basis, over a long holiday weekend, and NOT have any support staff available to customers?"

The "interview", no doubt, would have gone straight to hell from there.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Well of course we can put people between rock and the hard place, but myself I would like to be merciful when something like this happens. That said, I would have liked the company to have even ONE PERSON to download all that stuff and verify everything can be installed. In my book, this is where they failed.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Relax.

Bandwidth problems are not significant. At least I was able to download what I wanted, but the real problem was that downloads were not relevant. Some PC users got a Mac file, and most of us got DMGPART files that were not from the same image.

Once they get a solid release to the servers, we'll start downloading again. Why this happened in the first place is a mystery. They had plenty of time to test the downloads, and if they didn't well we can blame them for a reason.

Now let us just calm down and let them fix the issue. Then hit the servers again.
I agree...my apologies for, which Russ snatched from a PTE post of mine, "going off the rails".

Its just the total disappointment after waiting for over 3 months to move to PT11 and being held up, personally, by this mess and the subsequent obfuscation on the part of InMusic.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and not kicking me off this forum. Going forward I will temper my responses.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
You gotta hear this!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...er-hruska.html

Well Jennifer here are my thoughts as expressed on PTE and since I'm "moderated" there they might not see the light of day...

Listened to the POD cast. First, thank you Russ for getting InMusic to actually respond and I understand you had time constraints to just get an interview.

Nice to her say "InMusic has been a hardware company and I'm trying to take them into software."

Personal observation: EPIC FAIL!

Trying to placate customers by saying, essentially, "Hey! We threw in two more VIs so this is what you get and how you get it, so quit your bitching!"
just don't cut it.

Nice of her to throw Jack O'Donnell under the bus as well with "It was Jack's decision to include Loom and Vacuum Pro ".

Now can we get to the point of your disaster in management oversight of this rollout?

I am quite a bit disappointed in their continued excuse of laying this mess totally at the feet of DR. There was no explanation regarding the screwed up
packages and broken installers customers have reported.

Now 66GB of product to push out to an individual customer is HUGE, no question. Multiply that by 10,000+ orders InMusic was chest thumping about in
the first week of release and the result is...where we are.

I personally spoke with DR twice over the last week.

Guess what? it is up to THE CUSTOMER to judge the amount of bandwidth and server resources needed and DR pricing is based on THAT. AND if you are
releasing product on a worldwide basis they recommend distributing that across their global network which of course, costs more.

The admission that upon product release, the bandwidth/server resources they contracted for "were brought to their knees" is an admission they didn't
take that recommendation.

Now consider the installed base of AIR users vs. SoniVox users. One is a GLOBAL brand and the other, quite frankly, is boutique at best. Hence the "inability
to see" the scale of resources required to rollout product, let alone a HUGE product, on a global basis.

One thing is now perfectly clear. They figured they had finished product with a HUGE customer base and if they got it out "on the cheap" they could make
a killing financially, cover the acquisition costs and then some, and have a continuing revenue stream with this product and anything else they get from Avid
which includes AIR VIs.

Of other concern is, by her own admission, is that they knew from the beginning the number of DVDs which would be needed to create a COMPLETE set of
Backups and that 3 of the VIs would NOT be on those that customers purchased via DR.

Yet only now are customers are finding that out from THIS Pod cast and the ONLY way to get those 3 VIs is via DL.

Their web store said and continues to say NOTHING about that and customers DID NOT/ARE NOT getting what they paid/pay for.

Finally, I was quite taken back by her attitude towards the quality of the Backup Discs generated by DR "as a service" and how dismissive she was. THEN
toss in the attitude that came with the statement "it would add $100 to the cost of the entire package if customers want a COMPLETE set of DVDs. Maybe
we could offer that at EXTRA COST...it's something to consider."!

Well hell lady, that's what they expected to get in the first place and now your think "It's something to consider"...at EXTRA COST??

So customers are SCREWED! It was quite clear to me she has NO intention of honoring the FULL set Backup Discs.

These people are going to get their asses sued off if they don't step up to the plate and honor those Backup Disc orders as customers expected to get.

Already, the amount of customer "Chargebacks" on their credit cards is astonishing.

Welcome to "The Big Leagues" Jennifer. If you want to save this company's reputation and it's financial solvency, what little is left thanks to your
mismanagement, then it's time to honor your commitments to your customers, not tell them to pound sand.
Thanks for the link. It's very telling.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Thanks for the link. It's very telling.
Most welcome.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
Thank you for your patience, understanding and not kicking me off this forum. Going forward I will temper my responses.
We all have our opinions and our personal temper. I can assure you I have made a good many people quite mad
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
We all have our opinions and our personal temper. I can assure you I have made a good many people quite mad

www.LightWingStudios.com