Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2024, 01:04 PM

Default Rename plugin preset?

Is there a way to rename a plugin preset like for EQIII-7? Renaming would be preferable to "save as" which would duplicate them and needlessly lengthen the presets menu.

I thought of going to documents > pro tools > plugin settings and changing the file name directly, but I worry if that'd somehow screw things up in PT.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Rename plugin preset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshuajusic View Post
I thought of going to documents > pro tools > plugin settings and changing the file name directly, but I worry if that'd somehow screw things up in PT.
That's what I was going to suggest. I wouldn't think that would affect Pro Tools adversely.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-21-2024, 03:25 PM

Just tried it. It works. A "rename" option in the menu would be quicker though.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:22 PM

If duplicating and having 2 presets saved is undesirable to you, and barring the availability of a Rename Button, would this work better than going to Finder/File browser:

What about activating the preset so the parameters of the preset are enabled and on?
Then, if you hit "Delete Current Settings File..."
The settings will remain activated, but you can "Save"..
Use a new name, and this might be a gentler path than going out of app.

I am quite confident that a well supported automation solution (such as SoundFlow, could use others), you could easily turn it into one button to go between these steps:
Delete => Save

So you'd hit your own button when a preset window was there and you wanted to "Rename", it would instantly delete, hit save, ask you for a new location and name, putting the same data of the first preset in the second file, and you'd have zero duplication.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-25-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
If duplicating and having 2 presets saved is undesirable to you, and barring the availability of a Rename Button, would this work better than going to Finder/File browser:

What about activating the preset so the parameters of the preset are enabled and on?
Then, if you hit "Delete Current Settings File..."
The settings will remain activated, but you can "Save"..
Use a new name, and this might be a gentler path than going out of app.

I am quite confident that a well supported automation solution (such as SoundFlow, could use others), you could easily turn it into one button to go between these steps:
Delete => Save

So you'd hit your own button when a preset window was there and you wanted to "Rename", it would instantly delete, hit save, ask you for a new location and name, putting the same data of the first preset in the second file, and you'd have zero duplication.
You learn something new every day.