Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 04:42 PM

Default Weird Message and results when exporting Tracks PT9

So, I'm using PT 9 and preparing to export some tracks for professional mixing.

I've been bouncing audio for years but this is is my first time exporting to send to an engineer.

I set up a folder to send all the files to, and wanted to "test" one audio (bass) track. That track, in its original form, is several audio clips, a couple of looped clips, and some audio groups. I selected and highlighted the one track from beginning to end and consolidated it into one clip/region for export.

When I went to export I received this message: "One or more region groups and/or loops will be dropped during export. Please ungroup/unloop affected regions or consolidate them into new audio files prior to export. Would you like to continue? Y or N"

I *did* consolidate that audio track. Into one file. I went ahead and exported, and then I had like 5 files with the same name (bass). 4 of them had zero content, and one appeared to be the correct, full audio file.

Why is this happening?

If I do this with 20 tracks, I risk having 100 files I have to sort through, 80 of them with nothing.

And I want to make sure all tracks line up for delivery.

I don't understand.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2024, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Weird Message and results when exporting Tracks PT9

You'll probably get more help here :)

https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 02-13-2024, 07:05 AM

Are you 100% sure you used the Consolidate command from the Edit menu? It's telling you what you have selected is not consolidated.

Is your clip list selection following edit selection?
Old 02-13-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I think you might be onto something here.

If the clips were highlighted before consolidating, which also selects them in the clip list, the clip list might not update the selection after consolidating. The export command ignores the timeline and only exports what's selected in the clip list. Re-selecting the consolidated clip on the timeline should clear the previous selection in the clip list and select the consolidated clip.

This has bitten me in the a** before because the selection in the clip list doesn't update when changing playlists on a track.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:11 PM

Ok, I think I figured it out (as I was typing this reply to you) and it appears to be the fault of my stupid a** :

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Are you 100% sure you used the Consolidate command from the Edit menu? It's telling you what you have selected is not consolidated.
That's exactly what I did, so I'm not (wasn't) sure why it would say they aren't consolidated.

Quote:
I don't 100% follow this BUT:
1) apparently in PT9 they aren't "clips" but "regions"?
2) When I go into preferences both "region list selection follows edit list selection" and "edit list selection follows region list selection" are both checked.

HOWEVER, when I use the grabber tool to select the clip/region in the timeline, and it's highlighted in the clip/region list on the right side, I can select "export region as file" and it exports the proper wav just fine.

THE PROBLEM:

Another thing of note, the File-->Export option in (my) PT9 only lists "-->Export Selected Tracks as AAf/OMF" so THAT appears to be the problem, because when I use the shortcut Shift+Command+K the "real" export box shows up and the files export just fine.

So, I appears that it was the absence of the "Export selected tracks as files" under the File-->Export menu that was messing everything up, and which was what my dumb a** was selecting.

Shortcut solved it. It appears.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:16 PM

Don't confuse the export commands. There are actually two separate and completely different export windows. You found the correct one invoked by "Shift-CMD-K". It is the same as selecting "Export Regions as Files" in the Region List (the little menu at the top right).

File > Export is indeed for tracks and whole sessions. It ignores individual selections.