Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Upgrade Mixing Room from PT9?

Right now the studio I work at is Running PT 9 TDM 3 systems. We have not jumped on the PT 10 train yet due to money reasons. I want to get some PT 10 systems to get ready for the big switch to AAX plug ins PT 11 etc.

If I grab a PT 10 HD license will I even be able to try out AAX "Native plugs" Or because my system has TDM cards will it default to TDM and RTAS as opposed to TDM and AAX"native"

I tried to search for this info but could not find the answer. I apologize because I'm sure this question has been answered a few times.

kd
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Mixing Room from PT9?

I'm not in front of it right now, but I'm 95% sure we were running the new AAX Channelstrip plug-in on the HD3/PT10 rig in the main room. That would have to be AAX Native since it is a ye olde TDM system.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Hi KD. I'm running TDM HD3 systems on PT10.2.0, OSX 10.7.4. If you have both an RTAS and an AAX native version of a plugin installed, PT TDM will by default run the AAX version. If you delete the AAX version, PT TDM will load the RTAS version instead. Obviously if you only have an AAX Native version, like Channelstrip, that runs fine. PT TDM seems perfectly happy running combinations of RTAS, AAX and TDM plugins in the same session or even on the same channel. Voice count/Latency issues are the same when using AAX Native plugins as with RTAS.

I take it you realise that PT TDM systems will never be able to run PT versions beyond 10? Only HDX and HDN systems will be able to run PTHD 11.

G
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
I take it you realise that PT TDM systems will never be able to run PT versions beyond 10? Only HDX and HDN systems will be able to run PTHD 11.

G

Exactly!!!! I need to decide where to put our money. We have all Blue 192's (10 of em) Blue Sync I/O and Sync HD (7 of them) 7 TDM HD3 systems.

3 of those systems are Mix room only systems. I need to find out if Instead of going to a AAX 1 2 card system from a TDM it makes more sense to just go native for the mix/print stems systems. The CMR Layback PT Rig (This station opens OMfs and lays back digital audio to HDcamSR only) Probably doesn't need to be a TDM HD system anymore.

kd
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM

I've decided to stick with what I have for 8-12 months. By then I should know how PT11 is working out, which I hope will avoid the memory issues I think I would have running hundreds of channels on a HDX3 system. I'll also have a much better idea of what's going on with AAX DSP plugin development and what the next gen Mac Pro will have to offer.

G
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Im thinking the same thing as you. I think we should shell out the cash to get up to PT 10 from 9 though (1000 a system). Perhaps give a PT 10 native system a go and see what kind of things Mixing recording stems wise it can handle.
kd
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM

I've been on PT10 for a while now and I'm pretty happy with 10.2.0, especially now that Izotope have released an update which allows the use of handles. Still waiting on VocAlign to sort the handles out though. The RAM cache has certainly made my system snappier and more stable and clip gain saves a bit of time. The upgrade is still overpriced IMO though.

G
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM

I agree.. But the longer we hold out does none here any good. Sure we could run 9 for a few years and not really have any mixing hiccups but i hate being behind the times.

I need to see how native will effect our decision to buy HDX or stay native with a more powerful MAc 8-12 core. Right now we have all 8 cores

kd
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM

I agree entirely, that's why I'm on PT10. There's a good chance the 2013 Mac Pro will come in a 16 core version, which could be useful if we're running 500+ channels on HDX and still have to rely on a lot of AAX Native plugins. From what I've seen at the moment, the best bang for the buck is currently the 6 core 3.33 Mac Pro, which probably slightly out-performs the 8 core Westmere for audio processing. If you're thinking of hammering a HDN system to the max, the 12 core might be worth it. 24gig RAM is also a worthwhile upgrade, for PT's RAM cache.

G