Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Connect 2 PREs to HD system!

I've just got 2 PREs and I have no idea how to connect the to my Pro Tools HD2 v.10 rig.I also have 2 192s with 4 analog input cards ,2 analog output cards, and 2 digital cards.
I'm running OS X snow leopard on a intel Mac and would like to be able to use all inputs that the PRE offers simultaneously to record a live gig.
I need help!! Anybody?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Connect 2 PREs to HD system!

The 192 only allows for a single I/O card to be installed.....however they come configured as an 8x8 analog and 16x16 digital, adding an I/O card would give you either 16x8 analog, 8x16 analog, or an additional digital card that still only gives you 16x16. Basically there is a digital card installed already, it is fixed and can not be removed. That card provides the choice of AES/EBU (8-channels), ADAT Optical (8-channels), and TDIF (also 8-channels). There is an additional optical I/O that can be S/PDIF or ADAT OPTICAL. SO it sounds as if you simply added an input card to each 192 for a total of 32-inputs and 16-outputs of analog, correct?

That being the case..... the PRE simply takes a DB25 output (I believe that's on there, been awhile) to the DB25 +4 analog input x2. The PRE is NOT an I/O, it is simply an 8-channel mic pre..... that needs to go into an A/D converter.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM

You connect the Analog out of the PREs to the analog ins of the 192s. This should just take a couple short DB25 to DB25 cables. If you have 2 input cards on one 192 then they can both be connected to one 192. You also need to connect the MIDI I/O of each to the MIDI interface, if you want to be able to control them remotely. They also have to be configured in the AMS (mac), the Peripherals window, and the I/O setup. All the info to set them up should be in the PRE Guide (located in the Documentation > Hardware & Peripherals Folder).
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music

Last edited by cneal92; 01-22-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM

You can loop the MIDI out from one to the in of the other so that you only eat one set of I/O ports on your MIDI interface. Set the first PRE to channel 1 and the second to channel 2. Declare them in the Peripherals setup and match them to the appropriate bank of inputs in the I/O Setup.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM

"You can loop the MIDI"

You need to... from the manual.

I have 3 and this works fine although I use a Didi Midi I|o which is another story with Mac Audio Midi Setup.

AMS Add your 2 devices, "Pre-1 Pre-2" (Set midi Ch. 1 for #1 and Midi ch 2 for #2)
Connect to you midi interface, Both to the same port.
In Pro Tools peripherals set up the "Mic Preamps" send / receive
In Pro Tools I|o setups assign the Preamps to the 192's inputs
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM

My real issue is getting the signal ,from a guitar for example, through the PRE then the 192 to the track to be recorded in Pro Tools and be able to adjust the levels. Just so you guys know I'm a little rusty . Just got this rig and still learning ....."patience is the key"
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM

View Mic Preamps MIX or edit window.
Or
Manually at the Pre.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM

I'll try that and I'll keep everyone posted!
Thank you!