Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Syncing the Fantom S to Pro Tools with midi???

Here's the situation… I'm currently using Pro Tools 8, with an Mbox 2, on a PC with Windows 7. What I am attempting to do is transfer/record prerecorded tracks from my Roland Fantom S into Pro Tools. At first I was doing so track by track with a 1/4 inch instrument cable, but had no way to automatically line up the tracks. So being the inventive young man that I am, I recorded track 1 and track 2 into Pro Tools separately. Then I’d record track 1 and 2 from the Fantom onto one Pro Tools track, and try to line up the first 2 tracks I recorded separately, with the combined track, if that makes sense. Then tracks 2 & 3, 3 & 4, 4 & 5, etc., etc. for 16 tracks. I had to find a better way, so I searched a few forums and I found out about syncing through midi, bought a few midi cables and am now stuck.

What I learned was that I could sync the Fantom with Pro Tools, making the Fantom the slave. I don't know if my Fantom is not compatible with Pro Tools 8 through midi, or if that is even possible. These are the steps I have done thus far.

On the Fantom I:
Menu / System / SYNC/TEMPO
SYNC/TEMPO:
Sync Mode = Slave-Midi
Sync Output = Off
Tempo Override (opt) = Off

In one form it also said to:
MMT/MTC:
MMC Mode = Slave
MMC Output Off
MTC Sync Output = Off
Defaults on all the rest of the settings:

In pro tools I:
Setup.
MIDI.
Beat Clock.
Put a check mark in "Enable Midi Beat Clock for..."
Select the MIDI interface to which the Fantom is connected

Now I've watched several Youtube videos, looked through several sites and forums and can not get these tracks to record. After I record enable the midi and audio tracks I can play the tracks but can not record them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.