Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM

Default Novice Pro Tools LE 7.4 & MIDI Woes

Let me start by saying I am a PT / DAW novice, and know even less about MIDI.

I have a Roland RS-70 synth connected to my notebook PC (HP ZV5255US, AMD Athlon 64, 1/25Gb RAM, Windows XP SP3) using a M-Audio MIDISPORT 2X2 Anniversary Edition. I also have the Mbox 2 Mini bundle.

So far I have had very little success getting any MIDI device to work correctly with PT (Roland RS-70 or Alesis SR-18 drum machine).

Basically, what I want to do is use the synth or drum machine to record a MIDI track in PT, and route the MIDI track to an Aux track that has a xPand plug-in instrument configured.

With the MIDISPORT 2X2, the only way I have been able to record ANYTHING, is with the MIDI "Merge" button selected on the MIDISPORT. Is this correct?

The problem is, even with this setting, the results are very mixed. I am getting random stray notes, and notes I've played are ignored.

I should add that the MIDISPORT is connected to an un-powered USB hub. I just read on the M-Audio forums this AM that is should be directly connected. Need to try it directly connected tonight.

I have checked te MIDI setup in PT and everything looks OK to my inexperienced eyes. I get flashing activity lights on the MIDISPORT 2X2 "A" in and out ports.

I've read the MIDI section of the PT users guide, my synth and drum machine manuals and played extensively with every related setting I can find.

HELP!!!!

Can anyone shed some light on this topic?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Novice Pro Tools LE 7.4 & MIDI Woes

Sounds like there are a couple issues here, but I would start by updating to 7.4cs8. Midi timing was pretty wretched until at least cs2 I believe, so I would just get the latest patch.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23300

Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 AM

Have you tried setting the out of the midisport as your input on the channel you wish to record on? Are you trying to use the internal sounds of your devices or do you want to use them just as controllers?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Make sure MIDI Thru is checked under the Options menu

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 AM

I tried the cs8 update this last weekend. Unfortunately PT got pretty unstable for some reason, so I uninstalled and went back to the original 7.4 version I have on DVD.

I've tried the MIDISPORT out port as my input channel. I'll double check again tonight.

I've also checked to make sure MIDI Thru was selected in PT.

Tonight, I'm going to try plugging the MIDISPORT directly into a USB port on the computer instead of going through a USB hub.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Oh, totally over looked the hub thing. Midisport wont be recognized if ur sending it through a hub in most cases, I know mine doesnt.