Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 AM

Default Pro tools 8 upgrade

Hi, I have always stayed up to date with pro tools I paid for 7 as well as the paid updates going up to 7.4, now I am faced with a £92 charge for 8 and it seems that £92 will upgrade from any version. Is it just me or does this seem a trifle unfair?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 upgrade

This is a topic that comes up over and over.

Basically Digi doesn't force anyone to upgrade. So you don't have to purchase all the intermediate upgrade steps. Essentially you can wait on PT 7 for a couple years and then just buy that 1 upgrade to go straight to PT 8 and essentially get all those updates and features of 7.1, 7.3 7.4 for free included in your one purchase of PT 8.

But yes, if you upgrading constantly to be on the latest and greatest you'll pay a premium for that.

There are probably other reasons to not upgrade so often anyways unless there is some feature that you require. Such as plug-ins compatibility can change every 2 versions of Pro Tools when Digi rev's all their plug-ins so now you're paying for the developers to rev their plug-ins up to the new SDK for new versions of Pro Tools (if they charge). and you'll end up paying for multiple plug-in upgrades just to stay compatible.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 AM

Sorry that didn't really answer my question. Anyone got anything useful to say.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 AM

A good time to purchase an Mbox 2 micro i'm thinking???
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
A good time to purchase an Mbox 2 micro i'm thinking???
Ooh. Wish I woulda thought oh that.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimskiwax View Post
Sorry that didn't really answer my question. Anyone got anything useful to say.
Do you mean, will anyone agree with me?

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimskiwax View Post
Hi, I have always stayed up to date with pro tools I paid for 7 as well as the paid updates going up to 7.4, now I am faced with a £92 charge for 8 and it seems that £92 will upgrade from any version. Is it just me or does this seem a trifle unfair?
Think about it from the stand point of buying a new car, it might be the same brand, but the upgraded model will be more money.

You are paying a pretty small amount of money to upgrade to a really huge upgrade in the world of PT.

The list of new features is HUGE, and it costs money to do RND on something like this. Remember what you pay for is peoples salaries to continue making great new advancements for us end users.

Track Comping, MIDI and Score Editor, New Customizable UI,New Editing features, Plugins for days, Multiple Automation lanes, 10 inserts, 16 bit waveform overviews, Loop recording to new playlists, and I'm not even getting into the geeky stuff yet.

My point is that you are getting A LOT in this new upgrade, it's not just one new feature, it's a whole new piece of software that's very much still PT under the hood.

Hope that helps. :)

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 AM

So I was thinking of getting an Mbox micro anyway and after reading this I've just realised (brain cogs working overtime!) i can use the Pro Tools 8 on that to upgrade my Digi 002 system too.. is that right? Freakin sweet if so...
Old 12-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavybeats View Post
So I was thinking of getting an Mbox micro anyway and after reading this I've just realised (brain cogs working overtime!) i can use the Pro Tools 8 on that to upgrade my Digi 002 system too.. is that right? Freakin sweet if so...
You are correct sir!

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
You are correct sir!
Thats made my day!