Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2002, 02:41 AM

Default applying slap delay to a section of audio...

i'm trying to figure out why this is happening: a friend of mine was scratching a phrase on a turntable,coming into the digi 001 and he wanted to apply a slap echo to the tail-end of a word. the word was "bitter", okay? now, i used an audiosuite digi slap delay and we previewed it and everything sounded good. so we process it and as we soloed the track, everything sounded cool until it got to that section where the lady(beth from portishead) said "bitter"...applying the plug-in somehow someway added a small section of silence prior to the word...it looked like a flat line and then the word"bitter" had the delay over it.
my question is: how do we apply that plug-in over that word and not have a gap in the audio....it really mucks everything up. i even went home to my studio and tried it out on a song i had sitting on my external firewire drive. i highlighted a section of a track, went to my audiosuite drag down menu and applied a medium delay to that small section and sure enough, it added a gap befoe that section , but then the delay sounded like i wanted it to. what gives?!
Old 06-09-2002, 03:25 AM

Default Re: applying slap delay to a section of audio...

anyone? you mean to tell me no one has seen this?
Old 06-09-2002, 03:29 AM

Why dont you make a bigger selection and trim it later? I know that Audiosuite prosessing always adds a few ms of silence, but I think that its caused by the inherent latency in the plugin. You know if the plug has latency, it will also show up in audiosuite. I dont understand why they couldnt make audiosuite automatically compensate for this, but thats the way it is. You have to nudge manually.
Try a waves ultrapitch if you have it, and you’ll se what I mean.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:33 AM

man...i want to get me some wave plug-ins so bad, but i have a small problem with getting them:I'VE GOT TWIN DAUGHTERS AND THEY LIKE TO EAT!!!!!!!!
anyway, thanks man, i'll try lengthening my highlighted section and see what i can do.and thanks for breaking down the audiosuite latency wysiwyg... i just think that it's weird that they couldn't dial in this little problem with the audiosuite plugs before they moved onto designing the rtas ones, nahmean?
Old 06-09-2002, 04:14 AM

its not latency. you're applying a delay. the original signal was delayed just like you told it to. what you need to do is change the mix to 50/50 instead of 100% wet. with 50/50 you'll hear BOTH the unaffected and delayed portions.

by the way, i have triplets! they like to eat too... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 09:51 AM

Instead of using the wet/dry mix , for more overall control over the amount and other parameters of the delay, bus the original signal to an aux track and insert the plugin on the aux track. Then you can process the delay separately -- send to reverb, eq to roll off some of those extra t's and ss's, etc.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:02 AM

this is no help to the problem, but man do I love Portishead, new album should be out soon I gather?

cheers,

pk
Old 06-10-2002, 01:43 PM

hey da BaSsTaRd and pk_hat: man, TRIPLETS!?!?!?...GOD bless you man. i've already considered ingesting large amounts of pills to ease my pain on my mental health AND my pocket [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ... i feel your pain, but i wouldn't give my girls back for nothing and i'm sure you feel the same about yours!
and as for pk, man, they've been working on that new album for what, 4 years now! portishead needs to come with it with the qickness, for real, right!?