Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Any Drums plugin similar to 'Drummer' on garageband?

I know it's probably blasphemy asking that on the DUC, but I'm only an amateur home producer and I've been a bit out of the loop when it comes to PT and music production in general. So I was blown away recently when a friend showed me "Drummer" on his Mac - and particularly that I was able to jam along with it on guitar, with it responding to me in real time, picking up new rhythms and accentuating certain beats when I did.. very impressive.

So I was just wondering if there was anything like this for PT these days?

If there's nothing that can do what I described above, then whats simply the best and easiest to use "virtual drummer" type app? Note - I don't want a sequencer.

I used to have BFD, but that seems old fashioned now.

I have PT HD 10 and an i7 Win7 based PC.

Cheers for any info.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Any Drums plugin similar to 'Drummer' on garageband?

No.

My favorite is still Superior Drummer 2.0. Amazing, especially along with a V-Drum Kit.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerob View Post
I know it's probably blasphemy asking that on the DUC, but I'm only an amateur home producer and I've been a bit out of the loop when it comes to PT and music production in general. So I was blown away recently when a friend showed me "Drummer" on his Mac - and particularly that I was able to jam along with it on guitar, with it responding to me in real time, picking up new rhythms and accentuating certain beats when I did.. very impressive.

So I was just wondering if there was anything like this for PT these days?

If there's nothing that can do what I described above, then whats simply the best and easiest to use "virtual drummer" type app? Note - I don't want a sequencer.

I used to have BFD, but that seems old fashioned now.

I have PT HD 10 and an i7 Win7 based PC.

Cheers for any info.
BFD has been updated to 3 very recently. Nothing "old fashioned" about it. Still a top contender in drum software.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM

...you wonīt find something else like the Logic-"Drummer"...actually
Too bad that you are on Win as if you would be on Mac the most cost effective way to receive something like this
would be to simply buy Logic (as itīs ridiculously affordable for what it is offering IMO,
cheaper in price as most of the good drum applications)
and run it on the same machine as PT e.g. making your basic/drum tracks in Logic and then change to PT for further production work.
Itīs the way I use to do it right now (after only having had PT since version 7) and itīs really fantastic to have it both now,
to be able to use the advantages of each of the two DAWs.
Itīs working great side by side on the same machine here without any problems at all.
And as you can install Logic on every Mac you own without any iLok or something, itīs a cool addition for another mobile solution too
if you canīt afford a 2nd PT license or donīt want to carry around your fragile iLok 2 too often.
Just to additionally get Logic besides our beloved PT can give one lots of cool, new possibilities.
But thatīs really just my very personal experience of course.
No hard feelings anyone!
A total replacement for PT Logic will never be IMO actually as PT simply offers the better sound quality,
the better automation and mixing workflow in the end. But thereīs a lot you can get out of having both.
Anyway.
The very best to everyone,

cheers, VRW

MacMini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.9.1, Apogee Quartet, Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.1.2, Logic 10.0.6, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia etc.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:56 AM

EX Drummer
MIDI files
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM

As cool as EZdrummer is, I would suggest(and I own EZdrummer, SD2 and Addictive Drums), Addictive Drums is a bit easier to use, sounds great, and can be had for around $100 on sale. Go to youtube and watch videos of all the options and find which looks best for you

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM

So for the past 10 years i've been using this little known program called Drumsite. It's so simple it's silly. You can replace the drum sounds if you don't like what it comes with, but you can really get a good demo done QUICK if you aren't the best drummer. It exports to wav/midi (which you can then drop into ez drummer or anything else taking midi). You can export as individual drums, or as one full drum wav. You can change the hit volumes, get a drum roll to sound real, and everything else, it's really amazing how simple it is. Cheap too. Free updates for life, i think i got it for 35 bucks.

I know this sounds like an ad, but it's been a fallback of mine, really going on 14 years, now that i think about it.

http://www.guitar.sk/drums/drums_main.htm
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM

I don't know GB Drummer, but I really love using DrumCore. DrumCore 4 (with AAX 64) is supposed to be coming out soon. Lots of kits and playing styles are available.

Besides what's included, they sell "drummer packs" with kits and patterns from a huge variety of famous drummers. You can use their kits or patterns or both.

When I'm writing with the current version, I can always find something I like really fast without a lot of hunting around. Then I can go back later and tweak or just use in the built in "Gabrielize" function to change things up a bit.