Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Bounce To Disk frustrations!

I just got done with my first PT mix since switching from pc to Mac a few months ago.
What just happened is that I did my BTD as I normally would, 16-bit Stereo Interleaved with Dither on the master fader and chose AIFF as the final format.

Once the file is on my desktop, it shows up with an AIFF logo but when I click on it thinking QT will play the stereo file, it proceeds to boot into ProTools! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Info on the file indicates that it is indeed a 'pro tools document'. I really don't understand why this is happening, can anyone help me?

Following that, I figured why not see if iTunes would play it and sure enough, it did no problem. However, as I want to convert it to mp3 anyways (I need to send it by email tonight), I couldn't locate the import button in my iTunes interface? The aiff shows up in the library but how do I convert it? If I remember correctly, there use to be a 'record' or 'import' button on the top right but now all I see is a 'browse' icon...

I feel I' m overlooking something silly here....

Any help would be great and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Bounce To Disk frustrations!

Hey-

yeah, aiff files created with PT keep PT as their creator, and will open PT if double clicked. Stupid, I know. That's how it is.

And to convert a file with iTunes, you go to the Advanced menu and choose convert to mp3. The import button only shows up when you have a CD in the drive. I always forget this too.

good luck!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:38 PM

in Itunes/ EDIT->PREFERENCES (IMPORTING) select mp3 encoder, close that window. Go to ADVANCED->convert to mp3. then choose the file you want to convert Itunes will put a new converted copy in your library. hope that helps.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 02-27-2003, 07:40 PM

were all eager to help, i could swear that wasn't there when i hit reply
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 02-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Well I'm no iTunes expert but here goes;
In Edit / Preferances make sure MP3 is selected in the Import page and then you can go to Advanced and select Convert to MP3. This should do the trick...

Harbour Sounds
Old 02-27-2003, 07:45 PM

Wow... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Harbour Sounds
Old 02-27-2003, 07:46 PM

yeah, we're just so friendly and eager. And who says the DUC is getting nasty?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AverageJoe:

yeah, aiff files created with PT keep PT as their creator, and will open PT if double clicked. Stupid, I know. That's how it is.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks for the replies everyone, but about this aiff ordeal, surely there's a solution, no? You can't tell me that I can't create a stereo aiff file to just keep on my hard disk? So, every time I'm done with a song and bounce it down to stereo I'm gonna end up with this, another PT document?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by AverageJoe:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks for the replies everyone, but about this aiff ordeal, surely there's a solution, no? You can't tell me that I can't create a stereo aiff file to just keep on my hard disk? So, every time I'm done with a song and bounce it down to stereo I'm gonna end up with this, another PT document? <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, it's a regular aiff, it's just that the creator type is PT, so double clicking on it will open PT. Peak does the same thing- create an aiff file in Peak and it will have the little Peak logo and it will open with Peak.

Your aiff file will play in any application (QT, iTunes, etc) that will play aiff files. It's just that double clicking it to open will open PT.

Kind of strange and confusing, but it's not a big deal issue. You've got the right file, be assured.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:53 PM

If you just drag it to your iTunes window it will add to the library. You can still open it up with any audio player but the default is always the app that created it.To open it in a non default app. you just have to open the app first and then file/open. A cool feature of OS X is that you can right click a file and select "open with" and it will give you a menu of apps that will open it. The same feature is in Win XP but I am not sure who thought of it first.