Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Using Quicktime's GM Synth In Pro Tools

Hi

Is there a way to hear the default quicktime midi synth in Pro Tools? I know in logic you can set the GM midi tracks to trigger the QT synth but I can't figure out if its possible in PT.

If it's not possible then maybe there's an instrument plugin that sounds similar?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Using Quicktime's GM Synth In Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseandpepper View Post
Hi

Is there a way to hear the default quicktime midi synth in Pro Tools? I know in logic you can set the GM midi tracks to trigger the QT synth but I can't figure out if its possible in PT.

If it's not possible then maybe there's an instrument plugin that sounds similar?
I think it would have to act as a plugin inside ProTools, because otherwise QT audio is created and played via Core Audio. ProTools does not use Core Audio at all. I don't think the plugin exists either.

Your best bet is to use Xpand2. The Air Patchbay has a set of pseudo-GM presets that make it easier to use GM MIDI files
Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Using Quicktime's GM Synth In Pro Tools

Ive just been struggling down this one - I use midi files for bits of tunes or a chord sequence and have struggled thru allocating expand and finding which track is which blah blah.....I wanted a method as easy as in OS9 when QTime would provide the GM sounds and I may have found one.

I found a free OSX synth called "simplesynth" to which I can allocate an IAC bus then I had to copy and ammend the PTools GeneralMidi.midinam file by adding "IAC Driver" as model and "AppleComputer,Inc." as manufacturer - now I can access the GM sounds on a programchange patch within protools and see the names again on each respective midi track and send all the midi to IAC and so onto simplesynth and hear the sounds.

I am still on PT8 but using mboxpro I can hear the sounds and I guess when I get free enough to try PT9 then hearing and even recording the GM sounds should be even easier - though I rarely use the GM sounds once ive found what I need as I tend to allocate better sounds from the VIs instead