Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Switching HardDrives For StartUp of ProTools

My G4 System HardDrive is getting very full,so I would like to change my protools over to another internal HD.Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thank You
Old 11-04-2002, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Switching HardDrives For StartUp of ProTools

What is filling up your system drive? Is it PTLE sessions, or just miscellaneous files from other applications? I am a total puss when it comes to moving/fixing/cleaning/updating. . . . any of that stuff when it deals with PTLE. I'm so afraid it will cause crashes. I would move sessions, audio files, or other applications to other drives, freeing up space on the current, and then I would make sure I didn't save audio files to that drive in the future. I wouldn't touch PTLE, but I'm sure someone here can tell you how to do it without a problem. Sure hope this helps a bit.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 11-04-2002, 01:57 PM

Hey Styles all of my sessions are on my extra drive,I just thought that I would move everything to that drive.leaving my startup to the other programs on my computer.I know what you mean about fussing with anything after it is finally working up to snuff.Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:11 PM

I don't think it would be in your best interest to put PTLE application on the same drive as your session files. I've heard it can slow things down quite a bit, because you now have one drive doing the work of two. Do you have room for an additional drive? They're pretty cheap these days, and if you've got an extra space for one I'd go that route. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 11-04-2002, 02:38 PM

Drag and copy the entire folder of Digidesign to any partition except HD for your session.

You will get same parformance.

------------------------------------
PS.

This is additional info.
I did some test.

Booting OS10.2.1 from third HD on Internal ATA O (same as Superdrive) and OS10.2.1 from main HD (Internal ATA 1) to launch Logic P 5.4

Booting OS9 from Main HD or 2nd IDE HD to launch PT or Logic 5.3.

Make a copy of system folder OS9.1 from DiskWarrior CD to Firewire and drag some control panel and extensions and preference from OS9.2.2 and restart from there in order to run PT and Logic without any error messages. * I think this is simplest system folder you can get.

I thought OSX on ATA 0 was slower than OSX on main HD and could get best performance of PT and Logic with OS9.1 on FW.
Wrong!!!
I got almost ALL the saaaaame performance.

Result...

I am just very tired... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]