Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Re: The elephant in the room

I appreciate the insight / discussion of how this is all actually going to work. The reason for my original post was that with these collaboration features, and all of this "Avid Everywhere" business, it will be Avid systems in the middle, as it were. If they are having these kinds of issues with software and license distribution (which again, they have been doing for how long?), my confidence is shaky at best...
Old 03-25-2015, 12:30 PM

Hello. I agree that it will depend on the type of collaboration being done, but I really don't think the music field will put it into use a lot. I see it mostly being in use in post and the tracks being 'collaborated' will probably be stuff like VO takes, SFX edits, a few seconds long.

I don't see many people using this uploading and downloading massive amounts of tracks at a time. Most of it will be in seconds rather than minutes. Do a 30 second VO take upload. Edit 6 seconds of 3 stereo SFX tracks upload. And on and on.

That will upload and download in seconds. I really don't think that musicians will use this much. Even if they do outside of complete song takes, as opposed to overdubs, I don't see anything that will be more than a few seconds in length. Think punch ins. Even 10 tracks of drums will upload in seconds if it's a small punch in.

Again, I really don't see the music end of it using this much. And regardless of who is using it, once you see the way it works, it really is intended and will work its best when it's small snippets of audio a little a time.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
Hello. I agree that it will depend on the type of collaboration being done, but I really don't think the music field will put it into use a lot. I see it mostly being in use in post and the tracks being 'collaborated' will probably be stuff like VO takes, SFX edits, a few seconds long.

I don't see many people using this uploading and downloading massive amounts of tracks at a time. Most of it will be in seconds rather than minutes. Do a 30 second VO take upload. Edit 6 seconds of 3 stereo SFX tracks upload. And on and on.

That will upload and download in seconds. I really don't think that musicians will use this much. Even if they do outside of complete song takes, as opposed to overdubs, I don't see anything that will be more than a few seconds in length. Think punch ins. Even 10 tracks of drums will upload in seconds if it's a small punch in.

Again, I really don't see the music end of it using this much. And regardless of who is using it, once you see the way it works, it really is intended and will work its best when it's small snippets of audio a little a time.
No doubt. It will HAVE to be done that way for the early adopters. However, that's not the understanding I have come away with in regards to the marketing that's been 'out there'.

And especially to the OP's post...yeah, that's a real concern. The mods are gonna be busy...
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM

I just want to throw this out there, my band has been using eJamming (http://www.ejamming.com) for a couple of months now.
Depending on your Internet connection we have got latency down to about 15ms. Although noticeable, it is tolerable. As long as someone initiates the song by count in etc, it is possible to 'jam' in real time.
It's not a Cadillac but it gets us to where we need to be.
Oh yeah, audio is 44.1k and I believe 16 bit.
We record a 2 track of all the audio which I mix on the fly to try and get acceptable levels.
I'm not affiliated with them at all but have been a user of their service and I would recommend it if you have to practice over many miles.
Also for the record my internet connection is 50meg up and 5 down.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I just want to throw this out there, my band has been using eJamming (http://www.ejamming.com) for a couple of months now.
Depending on your Internet connection we have got latency down to about 15ms. Although noticeable, it is tolerable. As long as someone initiates the song by count in etc, it is possible to 'jam' in real time.
It's not a Cadillac but it gets us to where we need to be.
Oh yeah, audio is 44.1k and I believe 16 bit.
We record a 2 track of all the audio which I mix on the fly to try and get acceptable levels.
I'm not affiliated with them at all but have been a user of their service and I would recommend it if you have to practice over many miles.
Also for the record my internet connection is 50meg up and 5 down.
That's VERY cool! Thanks for the tip, gotta check it out soon!
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
...To my knowledge, this is a new technology for Avid...
Actually not at all and you've probably been watching television shows made using their collaboration and cloud technology for a decade. It's only new to Pro Tools.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/interplay-production

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/ISIS

http://www.nxn-software.com/

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Euphon......-a065366181
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM

I could see a post workflow for something like this, however security would be something that would have to be proven.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I could see a post workflow for something like this, however security would be something that would have to be proven.

Well since avid doesn't seem to posses the IT prowess to get people's PT12 updates into their accounts, I have my worries about them running something this advanced
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Well since avid doesn't seem to posses the IT prowess to get people's PT12 updates into their accounts, I have my worries about them running something this advanced
LOL, long gone are the days of Avid seeming to have their ducks in a row.