Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2003, 12:33 AM

Default New dedicated audio drive

I am going to get an (audio only) harddrive for my comp. (G4 dual 867) . I have already bought one and it was a piece of TIHS ,a Glyph too ,firewire. Too many errors and slow pauses. I've been recording on to my one and only main system drive since and it is working better that any other I've tried. I wanna get another one just like it maybe 80gb instead of 60, But I am not sure what kind it is. How do I find out ? I think its a seagate barracuda. My comp says the serial# in apple system profiler(ST360021A )which is a seagate after some small research. Would a bigger drive of the same kind be a barracuda with more space ? What are the compatibility specs for an internal besides 7200rpm and proper formating (os extended I believe)?thanx
Old 07-13-2003, 01:06 AM

Default Re: New dedicated audio drive

HUH ?

There is no way that tracking to a FW drive could be worse than tracking to your OS drive, which is NOT a good idea under any circumstances.

Granted GLYPH gear is hyped, over priced and nothing special, but hey it ought to do the basics.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:01 PM

There is no way that tracking to a FW drive could be worse than tracking to your OS drive
Not true if your firewire drive is not up to spec (Oxford 911 chipset, 7200 )
I used and internal dive when I first got my system and never had an issue but it is considered a no no.
Raymond Hardy The LaCie d drives work well.
I have one that I bring back & forth between studios and have never had a problem.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:10 AM

I've been thinking about buying one of the LaCie d2 ext. FW drives - 120, 160, or 200GBs. They're quiet and a lot less expensive than the Glyphs. Anything wrong with these?
Ray
Old 07-14-2003, 12:40 AM

I dont know why the drive was working so slow and horrible error messeges everywhere. I figure internal would be better, so I'll stick to that. I think external firewire is ok for backing up data and caring it around , But the glyph I got wasnt keeping up as an active audio drive. Maybe there was sumthing wrong with it .dont know
Old 07-14-2003, 01:01 AM

If you have a G4 tower, why not add an extra internal drive?

Takes a few minutes, and is EASY AS PIE !!!

I recommend western digital caviar drives with the 8mb buffer. Get a big one and partition it into a few different drives. Recently did a friens 160gb drive into (4) 40 gb partiotions (well, 39.? whatever gb) and it is working nice for him.

Also with FW drives, there is no need to install the "software" or "drivers" that come with them. They should work with the mac drivers.

Lacie is a little pricey to me, almost as bad as glyph !! (p.s. Sorry to hear you had probs with the glyph, but I LOVE seeing posts that say the glyph didn't work b/c they spread lies about how great the drives are and how much better they are trying to justify the price, and they have an identical case to the one from owc. )

Try

www.otherworldcomputing.com

www.granitedigital.com

www.clubmac.com

They all have good INEXPENSIVE FW drives.

P.S. check
www.storagereview.com

For what drives are performing the best right now.