Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Exclamation Cannot start Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8 in Vista Home Premium SP2

I finally got my system to recognize the M-Audio Micro and the USB Keyboard but when I start the Pro Tools I get the following message:

"Unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on."

I found information on this site but I need the link to the exact download driver update I should install to correct this issue.

Anyone help me?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Cannot start Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8 in Vista Home Premium SP2

Are you talking about the M-Audio USB Micro audio interface included with the Pro Tools KeyStudio?

See if this M-Audio Knowledgebase article helps:
Device installed successfully but control panel shows "not connected" (Vista)
Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Cannot start Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8 in Vista Home Premium SP2

I can also be due to the fact that most pro-tool system require you have Vista Buisness or Vista Ultimate for it to work.

Personaly I much rather like working on XP.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Well, the documentation on this site stated that there are no known issues with Vista Home Premium as well as it was never tested. I also received a reply here that the ProTools 8 does not run on Vista but this is ProTools 8 Essential Keystudio bundle and it says Vista compatible not Vista Ultimate and Business Compatible.

It seems that neither Digidesign, M-Audio nor Avid want to take any responsibility for making a product that claims right on the box and online that it is compatible with Vista. Hell, there are even driver updates for Vista Home Premium SP2 (32bit) right on the M-Audio website.

Just for the sake of argument, what is needed by ProTools 8 Essential to run on Vista Ultimate is also in Vista Home Premium - thats posted all over the internet!

Also, this is my favorite - The USB Keystudio 49 keyboard and M-Audio Micro both work flawlessly with my Sony Acid Music Studio 7 and its not even on their compatibility list!

Anyway, at least its not a total loss but its too bad I will never get to know ProTools 8 Essential software.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM

This all pertains to the ProTools Keystudio bundle
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM

I have run PT Essentials on a laptop with Vista Home Premium SP2 without issue. I got the Vocal pack, with the Producer USB microphone.

Did you install the driver from the DVD? You have to install it separately.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 AM

I am having the same issue when trying to launch Pro Tools M-Powered Essentials with my newly acquired USB Fast Track mkII.

I also have Reason and Record on this laptop, and I am able to select the "DX Line" or "MME Line (Fast Track) ASIO Drivers" and it works great with my bass. But I cannot launch Pro Tools at all. My error is slightly different:

"Pro Tools Application Has Stopped Working" to be exact: A problem has stopped the program from working correctly, Windows will look for a solution, yada yada yada.

I put my system specs in my profile but I'm on a HP dv6700 with AMD Turion x2 (2.0G) with 3GB RAM, running Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM

So I just uninstalled and re-installed M powered essentials 8.0.2 from the disc that came with my Fast Track USB.

I notice thast when I restart, as directed by the installer, a program called Microsoft Register service has an error before my system boots. Also, a program called "DigiMIDI" registry service (?) is prevented from running. I also get an error concering PACEregistry (?)... I would take screen grabs but this occurs before my system boots.

I have a feeling it is trying to access information online, but because I am not yet booted, and have no wireless connection established, it cannot run. Is there any way to run this after I reboot???
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Took me a minute to realize the headphones must be plugged into the mic and the only sound is from the headphones--no computer speakers involved (feedback).
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 PM

hey guys IM having the same problem and wanted to see if u can help. I have a sony vaio vgn-fz260e with 2gb ram, and i bought the m audio midi keyboard n pro tools m powered essantials 8.0.2 came with it. I downloaded everthing on the installation cd n when i try to open protools my system crashes n says dat there is not enough disk space. I teird reason4 n that works fine. I have no idea wat to do totally new so plz help me out.