Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM

Default WAVES IR-1 - Please tell me your favorite settings

Hey All,

Here is my situation. I have a session starting Friday tracking a live band and I need suggestions on where to start preset wise with Waves IR-1.

Could you all help me out with some ideas for tracking verbs settings as well as mixing verb settings for Vox, Drums-Snare etc....

I have only had Waves IR-1 a sort time so I really havn't gotten a lot of time with it so that's why I need the quick jump start.

Plus I guess I'm lazy.

Thanks Guys,

KC
Old 07-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: WAVES IR-1 - Please tell me your favorite settings

Hi Call me lazy but I went straight to the 480l presets and used "the usual" doesn't despite the blurb sound actually as good as a real 480l bizzarley given the modern technology doesn't even sound as subjectively as good as a PCM81??? However its not bad. The problem I find with some exceptions e.g. post when you really do want a person in "a car" or a "batcave" etc is that the unreal hardware actually sounds cooler.

"The usual" =
Vox Plate Concert hall Vox Hall
Gtr Plate
Drum Plate

Hey I guess I'm a boring traditionalist!!

NB If you get a chance try out TL Space

Also second hand PCM81's90's Tc M3000's etc are starting to be a bit of a steal i.e. less than the plug ins that replace them and can be easily inserted on your mixes digitally or analogue.

Clients just seem to love them.

Cheers

NB IR1 is a good plug in but hardware often surprises in a shoot out.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: WAVES IR-1 - Please tell me your favorite settings

I love the recording studios presets, some of these rooms are so realistic on drums.

The Hamon Studio preset sounds amazingly similar to the room mics in this lovely Tel Aviv studio (RIP) where we used to get a great drum sound.

Izhar
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: WAVES IR-1 - Please tell me your favorite sett

I tend to use churches and halls, but it all depends on the track, and the kind of space you want. Although I like the option of hardware devices, I prefer the sampled locations in most cases. Just load up a few of the ones that match the size room you are looking for, and don't miss out on all the IRs to be found on Acoustics.net.