Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2001, 01:06 PM

Default Bounce sounds worse than Session using WAVES

I am noticing a big difference in audio quality between my Bounce files and when playing back my sessions. The sessions sound great, and as I listen to the bounce process as it is bouncing to disc, all seems good to go. But when I play back the bounced file (using Soundjam, for instance), it sounds pretty thin and slightly distorted - a big difference from what I heard in my session while bouncing to disc. It seems like something fishy is going on with the bounce processing. I am using Waves NPP 3.0 for all my processing.

I'm the recording engineer for my church and we produce cassette albums (among other things) to our congregation. I record straight to a Tascam on-the-fly CD burner. During the mastering process (in post production), I insert an L1+ on the master bus, and a Q4 and C1 on the stereo track containing the "message". I use the L1+ in such a way that the peaks just tickle the activation of the limiter, usually only resulting in about 2-3 dB of limiting. The wall is set to about -.3 dB. IDR is 16bit, type 1, normal. On the C1, I use a mild threshold and compression (3:1) with fast attack. The only EQ'ing I am doing is a Hi Pass filter with the Q4.

Again, while in the session, it sounds pretty good, but the bounced file sounds very noticably different. When I bounce, I set it to stereo interleaved, 16 bit, convert during bounce.

Has anyone else noticed this difference? Or is it just me?

Gremz