Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: PT 6.0 LE S-L-O-W

what on earth is a "shadow" in OSX??

(i'm someone who hasn't upgraded to OSX and has no plans to, especially after reading all this nonsense.)

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:42 PM

I'm using a G4/466 and I find that pt6 and OSX works better than 5.1.1 and 9.2.2 did. Maybe I didn't have my extensions all wrked out in 5.1.1 and has less performance but so far I have no complaints about pt6.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:54 PM

OSX places a shadow around the edges of menus, windows, and icons on the desktop. It helps them stand out...and apparently eats up alot of resources on slower Macs.
San Diego, CA
Old 02-23-2003, 12:04 AM

For the record, I have a G4 400 mhz PCI graphics (YIKES motherboard) and WILL NOT be upgrading to PT 6.0 anytime soon as it is not compatible with my system.

I currently operate OS X on one HD, and 9.2 on a second HD. I basically switch to 9.2 when working with audio, and all other apps are on the OS X hard drive. At first it seemed like a pain having to switch back and forth between OS's while I waited for 6.0 to come out. Once I found out it would only work with an AGP motherboard, I knew I was screwed. Switching back and forth between OS's ain't so bad anymore compared to the price of upgrading to compatible G4.

This was actually a blessing in disguise because I'm sure that had PT 6.0 worked on my system, the performance would have suffered greatly, but using 9.2 and 5.2.1 has been a great marriage of speed and efficiency.

I still would like to get a notebook with an Mbox for portability, and eventually a used G4 dual processor after a couple more generations of new models are released. That way the dual 1 ghz models will be more reasonably priced.

Gremz
Old 02-23-2003, 12:20 AM

I've got shadow killer but how can I put it and other utilities to autorun on startup? 10x.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:25 AM

Couple of things here just for the record.

Quartz Extreme "only' works with AGP macs. It does not support PCI video cards. Even though the systems mentioned here are using AGP, I just wanted to mention this here for reference.

Secondly, the "gain" in OSX PT6 is when you use (2) cpus. Otherwise, it uses exactly the same cpu allocation as before (only now, you have more overhead to pull with the OS).

I thought this was quite clear. OSX is made for dual cpus. If your upgrading to a faster single cpu ...your not doing yourself any favor as far as OSX is concerned (not that it doesn't help).

Powerlogix sells dual ghz upgrades for your older G4 agp singles. They range from about 600 to 900 bucks. (800mhz to 1ghz dual).

They have a small test app to run to see if your machine is capable of running it.

If you've already got your mac decked out with ram, drives..etc..then it might save you some money and hold you for a while. But, if you have 2x agp....your screen redraws are not going to be anything to write home about.

A 733 QS is a "prime" candidate for an upgrade like this. It already has 4x agp...133mhz sys bus, etc.

Then, you just have to consider the cost difference between spending 600 to 900 bucks..and what the cheapest new dual cpu mac would cost decked out with full compliment of ram (you can alwasy reuse your IDE drives..firewire..etc).

Anyway, hope that helps
Old 02-23-2003, 12:47 AM

I'm using a G4/466-384 ram. I'm not having any performance problems. Everything is quite zippy. At least as good as )S 9.1 with PT 5.1.1. I don't have OS9 installed any more however. OS 10.2.3 only. Seperate internal IDE drive for audio. I started from scratch.

My only complaints are PT6 quits for no reason (though this can be a ram thing. I'm a little thin) The demo runs fine though. And I get a pop when PT is launched.

Try repairing disc permissions as stated above.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:07 AM

How well your os9 based sessions runs in osX ?? Can you open more plugs? Which one has more capalibity to run more plugs?

867 titanium / 512mb ram