Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Firewire... The absolute best??

Hi,

We've been using Firewire drives for sometime now. Usually the Lacie oxford 7200rpm 80/120 etc... We recently tried some OWC IBM drives, and had three out of four go down because of faulty IBM drives. I'm weary of going back to the Lacie, as they have no fan, and I'm not real confident about their auto on/off switches. But what else is there??? I'm not real thrilled about paying $500 plus for a digi drive. I've heard of a PNCengineering drive that had an 8mb cache instead of the standard 2mb, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried these, or has any other suggestions.

Thanks

Alex
Old 11-12-2002, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Firewire... The absolute best??

Alex. ... stranger ....

I've got a bunch of the OWC's around, and have had nothing but joy with them. That said, you might also check out Granite Digital

and by the way... you're going to be "uncle" Alex in June [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ... (Juice says hi)

-dave
Old 11-12-2002, 03:48 PM

Dave,

Email me!!!! ([email protected]) I've been wondering how to get ahold of you for sometime now. Everyone else is curious how you're doing too!! Tell Joyce I said hello. Sounds like you stopped wearing such tight pants. Congrats!!!

You like the OWC's huh?? I'm really in a strange situation as I'm aware that they come with the IBM 180GXP's installed, which supposedly are the best performing drives in Fw cases, but three drives going down in the last two months is no joke. I'm paying the rent for Lazarus Data Recovery these days.. By the way they are the coolest. I saw the Granite, have you used them??? Do you like the one fan or two fan model, and how noisy are they.

Email me!!!!

Alex
Old 11-12-2002, 04:20 PM

Cobra EZ Quest, oxford 911, ibm drives (usually)
support is great as well as I think the 3 year warranty
Old 11-12-2002, 04:36 PM

Granite Digital enclosure,
WD special-edition ATA's with the 8 meg buffer.
Stock Apple 9.2 driver.

That's as good as it gets. End of story.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Granite Digital enclosure,
WD special-edition ATA's with the 8 meg buffer.
Stock Apple 9.2 driver.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Seconded.

I've also found that the WD1200JB is slightly faster than the WD800JB. Not enough, probably, to make a difference if you only need 80 GB, but if it was a toss up, go with the 120 GB.

It doesn't surprise me that the IBM's failed in the fanless OWC case. They run a bit hotter than the WD's. With the exception of the DigiDrive, professional drives are usually not built for silence. They're built for reliability under heavy use, and usually destined for machine rooms.

As was mentioned in a previous post, IBM is getting out of the hard drive business and farming out the manufacturing to Hitachi.

Lee Blaske