How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Default Cheapest Upgrade Path for Improved PT LE 8 Recording

Up front, I will confess I fear professional recording engineers and enthusiasts will hate this post. But I am a home hobbyist, so be mindful of that.

I have the Eleven Rack with expansion pack. I use Pro Tools LE 8.05 on a Win7 Home Premium PC, 32-bit.

My computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, DC 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz front side bus, Socket 775, Intel 945G Chipset, Asus Micro ATX Motherboard (Leonite-GL8e).

I have 4gb RAM on mobo; C-drive: SATA 250gig 5400rpm; E-drive: SATA 250gig 5400rp; L-drive 7200rpm firewire 800 for recording. Separate graphics card with 2gig memory.

I have made all of the recommended optimizations for Pro Tools LE 8.05 (or most). Most of my settings are defaults in Pro Tools. I adjust buffers as needed when recording vs mixing.

I'm happy with PTLE 8. I may upgrade both my computer and PT someday, but right now LE is fine and money is tight.

Given my satisfaction with LE and use of the 11R and firewire drive, what are some options for perhaps improving my LE performance on the cheap side? For example - will converting my C: drive to SSD make a difference? Get a "new" used PC or even a Mac (laptop or Mini)? New used pc, what is my most affordable option?

What would you do, beyond saving for PT and computer complete upgrade?

If this is totally ridiculous path, let me know. But, if I'm happy with LE, why not leverage the improved performance and lower cost of used technology for another 18-24 months?

What am I trying to solve for? PT LE hangs sometimes after a track is printed; or some heavy editing; or switching back and forth from 11R setting; or using VSTi like Boom or Structure or Xpand. So I am assuming a little more horsepower will eliminate that inconvenience and workflow.