Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 03:27 PM

Default Is Pro Tools 2022.7 compatible with MacBook Pro early 2015 3.1 Ghz i7 os Catalina 10.

Hi
Can i use the latest PT 2022.7 if I update the OS to newer one...I have early 2015 Macbook pro 3.1Ghz i7,16 g ram and OS is Catalina 10.15.7...would not like to have any technical probs because it is working well now(now I have PT 2021.7.0)...i have this renewal possibility on the latest PT version(already paid) but is there any point trying if it is not working.Do I need newer MacBook(now I have PT 2021.7) or update the OS or what?
thx in advance Nipa

Last edited by nipa; 09-12-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools 2022.7 compatible with MacBook Pro early 2015 3.1 Ghz i7 os Catalina

2022.7 runs on Catalina so in principle you don't need to make any changes.

But really you need to be able to work this out for yourself.

MacOS versions supported on any Mac... best database of that is EveryMac https://everymac.com, look for "Maximum macOS", or find the info on the Apple support website.

Pro Tools compatibility with different macOS versions is here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

You don't mention audio interface. If you upgrade macOS for any reason you need to work out if you can get drivers for your interface compatible with the macOS version you want to run.

You don't mention plugins. Especially if you upgrade macOS for any reason you should be checking the compatibility information for third party plugins you have. Even if you don't upgrade macOS, now would be a good time to check you have the latest plugins installed.

...check you have current systems backups before upgrading anything.

If you do upgrade macOS for some reason (I can't see a reason you need to now), don't risk shooting yourself in the head by doing an in-situ macOS upgrade. Instead install the new macOS on a clean external drive or a create a new volume on the internal drive if there is space, install a full new clean macOS there, install just Pro Tools on that and check it works, if so install everything else you need. Using the vendors installers, *not* moving apps or drivers with migration assistant. Less likely to have problems that way, and you can always boot back to your current system if there are problems.