Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2000, 03:05 AM

Default Template bug !!!

Hi !

I found some posts here about the "template bug" but no digi comment.

The bug is:

If you create a template-based session, it is saved as a 24 bits session everytime, even if you created a 16 bits session as template.
You can easily reproduce the bug, it works each time!... (create 16 bits session, check it as a template, create a new session with it, save, re-open, it is 24 bits!)

I guess it's very annoying for PTIII users, cause if you use a template, I guess you cannot open the saved session anymore...

It is annoying too for PTMix users, because it can lead to strange behaviours each time you use a template.

I think it could be a good idea to post a little message in the "latebreaking news" for digi users.

You can spend a lot of time to solve this prob if you're not aware of it, and for my part, I thought it was a Tracktransfer bug (see my older post "Tracktransfer and templates I found the bug! ")

The only workaround I found is to not use templates anymore...

Has this bug been fixed in 5.01 ?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2000, 08:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: Template bug !!!

Laurent_V
I was unable to reproduce the problem you described. Pro tools ver 5.0.1. Create
(2) sessions, one 16bit, one 24bit.
Do a "get info" on each and select stationary pad. Launch the 16 bit session
( template/stationary pad )from the template
choose new session, name, after the session
opens, go to windows/show session setup/
and see "Bit depth" : it will show the correct bit depth. Repeat for 24 bit. If you have followed these steps and are still having problems, post more info/steps on how to reproduce the problem.
MJ
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 07-12-2000, 01:12 AM

hi again,

Not received 5.01 yet...

Check this one:

The session created using the template is 16 bits. Cool.

But if you save it, quit and re-open the newly created session it becomes a "24 bits".

I mean, the template based session is 16 bits, but is saved as 24 bits. so the problem occurs when you re-open it.

I was able to reproduce it. I'll check again but I'm some sure there's really a problem here.

Just to mention, it seems that I'm not the only one to have this problem (some PTIII users had it too...)

Each time, I didn't record or import any audio in the newly created session.

I'll confirm this today, but please re-do a test with all these steps, not only creating a template based session, but re-open it after you saved (may be only 5.00 is concerned...)

cheers!
Old 07-12-2000, 02:01 PM

>I actually reported this to engineering a
>while back and if you read your 5.01
> readme you'll see some info about it.

I checked it but didn't find anything about this (on the "5.01 read me.pdf" that is on digi's site)

>You can keep this from happening if you
>save, close, and re-open the session
>after telling PT that you want to work on a
>new session made from the template.

do you mean that you must not 'save as' a newly created session using a template, but just create, close and re-open it, and then no more problems ?
Please confirm, just to clarify the point...

Thanks!

Laurent°
Old 07-13-2000, 12:53 AM
Avid

Hi all,

I actually reported this to engineering a while back and if you read your 5.01 readme you'll see some info about it.

You can keep this from happening if you save, close, and re-open the session after telling PT that you want to work on a new session made from the template.

I'll send out another email to the TS crew here so everybody knows about it. (it must have gotten lost in the blizzard of information we get hit with and try to remember every day)

-Bryan
Old 07-13-2000, 12:57 AM

I'm really getting crazy...

I tried to reproduce the bug today. Impossible to redo the thing. Everything worked just fine... (Same system, same PT version, same computer...)

I started from a new template and the session didn't change of bitdepth at any moment...

:-/

I don't understand anything, and I really think about reducing drugs and beers for one week, may be two...

Well, last time I had the bug, I reproduced the bug and checked everything.

I'll make some more real tests as soon as possible with "Digitranslator OMF based" session tracks imported in my "template based" session, using tracktransfer...

Just to mention, the template I used was made from scratch using PT 5.0, not PT 4.3.

May be some funny things with the prefs file ? (I noticed very strange bugs could occur with corrupted prefs )

If I can reproduce it, I'll post the sessions so may be we'll find the "thing".

Cheers !

Laurent°

Old 07-13-2000, 10:20 AM
Avid

Laurent,
Just to clarify:
-Open the 16 bit template file
-Click "New Session" in the dialogue box.
-(VERY IMPORTANT) Make any minute change in the session (changing the edit mode, choosing a new edit tool, whatever).
-Save the session (command+S).
-The session will now reopen as a 16 bit session.

Brent