Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Waves and AAX DSP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
Bus through aux...cool...I thought ther might even be an easier way, but that way seems like it'll do the trick
No, that's the easiest.

The same aux trick can also be used for talkback mics or whatever you don't want to be recorded. Aux track and audio track are otherwise pretty much identical, except aux cannot be recorded.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Really? Are we talking about the company that has only existed for 20 years? They started with Q10 and L1 which is hardly a Mercury bundle. Even ten years ago there only was "Platinum" bundle available (and that was when they first ate their words as in "the gold bundle includes everything we have").

Decades? Hardly.
My point remains. How many DSP studios are annually buying Waves bundles (many have been on the same bundle for, okay not decades but, years)? How many DSP studios will open in the next five years compared to native users that again are popping up everywhere? How much more attractive will HD Native look to smaller to medium sized studios in the next five years? What about every other native DAW user that likes Waves?

HDX will sell and I sincerely hope that Waves DSP customers will somehow be able to continue using their Waves plugins. OTOH, I don't think Waves will go out of business if it doesn't happen (as some seem to be so absolutely sure about). I just don't believe that.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 AM

To get back to the topic: the only and I really do mean the only good news from Waves to us HDX users would be (partial) AAX-DSP support.

Any other news would be BS and completely useless.

I do not want to speculate here about Waves alternatives or how good or bad their products are or anything else but the core of this topic.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
How many DSP studios will open in the next five years compared to native users that again are popping up everywhere?
Basically what you are pointing out is that McDonalds sells a lot more burgers than any 5 star restaurant sells Filet Mignon.

The thing is, I'd rather eat at a 5 star restaurant.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
Basically what you are pointing out is that McDonalds sells a lot more burgers than any 5 star restaurant sells Filet Mignon.

The thing is, I'd rather eat at a 5 star restaurant.
I am pointing out that:

1) Some have a very narrow view of the native customer base. Many native users are doing 5 star work, with Waves plugins. Also, no HD studio turns away the pro native users bringing in sessions that were either started or mostly completed in his/her project studio. I know this is a PT forum but to suggest that pros only use PT HD is laughable. This constant tension/competition of Native vs HD is just dumb. Pros use both extensively.

The difference is the average pro who does not have to live in one of the few relevant HD studios in a major city will most like get a native setup in his/her home. Hek, even some pros who live in a major studio many times have a native setup at home and one for mobile use.

2). This idea that Waves will go out of business without AAX DSP is, IMO, absurd. Their pro customer base is bigger than just HD users, and in the coming years it will only grow. Nothing against HD studios. But when we are talking about buying plugins, they are not the only pros spending a lot of money on them.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Everyone has a native set up.

No one suggested anything about pros vs non pros.

Pro STUDIOS all have PT HD. It's just the way it is. The industry takes it's cues from pro guys. It's just the way it is.

Waves has chosen NOT to accommodate pro studio studio situations. I'm very sure that will have a all around negative affect on them. Unless you consider that a hero move that is meant to embolden the bedroom marketeers...who happen to take their cues from pro users.

If you think I am wrong, cool, but take note that Waves is already waffling, flopping around like a half dead fish singing "Should I Stay Or Should I GO?"
Stewart, I will not go back and forth about what I am not saying. Pro is not synonymous with HD studio just as native is not synonymous with novice. Pros use both platforms extensively and I will not spend more time trying to convince anyone otherwise.

We disagree. Time will tell what happens to Waves.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post

2). This idea that Waves will go out of business without AAX DSP is, IMO, absurd.
Yep. They probably make the least amount of their money from plugins. They have a bunch of patents in the consumer arena being used by major companies for years.

Under its Maxx brand, Waves offers its technologies as DSP semiconductors and licensable algorithms for consumer electronics, and are currently used in products from companies including Sony, Sanyo, JVC, Toshiba, and Altec Lansing. Maxx technologies are used to enhance audio performance and improve sound in televisions, laptop computers, mobile phones, VoIP, multimedia speakers, and portable audio systems.

When the high sound pressure levels produced by the vuvuzelas at the 2010 FIFA World Cup became a very real problem for broadcasters, Waves Audio devised an audio software plug-in solution utilizing two plug-ins to create a notch filter which helped greatly reduce the interference of the vuvuzela noise during the broadcast of the international sporting event

A few of their patents: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=5930373
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM

interesting... thanks for the post... yeah i know waves is deep into audio..

my buddy actually owns a yamaha digital mixer circa 2000, and Waves actually
built an add on dsp card for it, which has the Renaissance plug in collection + the L2..

of course my buddy had no idea who they were and didnt purchase one at the time.. they are no longer in production.. not a day goes by when im' mastering his tracks that i dont remind him of what a dumb move that was... he passed up on an amazing mixing unit.. for dirt cheap too..

http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosyst...hp?prodID=1092

Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Well I will because you keep misrepresenting what I am saying. Stop quoting me and then suggest that I am saying the opposite. Not cool.
Stewart, no matter what I say you reply with the same pro, bedroom nonsense. I think you are a robot. That would actually be cool and make a lot of sense.