Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2003, 03:15 AM

Default Question about ordering HD and G5 tomorrow!

Well guys, after a few weeks of going over countless forums, talking to numerous people, and recovering from the G5 shock, I will be ordering a HD1 and Massive Pack Pro system tomorrow from Sweetwater. The main reason for me to upgrade to the HD systems from the Digi001 was because I was planning on adding several Gigastudios in the studio to do film scoring.The HD systems seemed best equipped to handle the situation due to my familiarity with Protools, quality interfaces, and the great plugins available for TDM.

I will be purchasing Logic 6 TDM as well so I can compose Midi in Logic while mixing audio in Protools. Since the G5 is supposedly going to be so damn powerful, I am planning on being able to not purchase any additional Gigastudio PCs at all, and just run my enormous Gigastudio libraries through either Logic EXS24 or Mach 5. Is this a reasonable assumption? I have received responses from other members in the forum who run fairly large Gigastudio samples in EXS24 on G4s and with the added power of the G5, this seems like a reality. If anyone has any ideas on this, please share, I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give me.

One last thing, I will be purchasing the following items:

HD1
Massive Pack Pro
192 IO
Midi IO
Logic Platinum
Logic Bridge (Not sure if I need the extension or bridge to use with HD)
G5
A few snakes

My Sweetwater guy said this will run about 18,500 which is only about 1000 dollars or so below the total list price of the above items. Is this about right? I was expecting the real price to be much lower than the retail price. Please let me know if I need to haggle a little! Oh, and I should I pay to have Sweetwater install it for me? They said it's HIGHLY recommended and a pretty troublesome process.THANKS GUYS AND WISH ME LUCK TOMORROW!!
Old 06-26-2003, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Question about ordering HD and G5 tomorrow!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...Sweetwater is assuming that the G5 will work with HD but they will be waiting a month to see what happens. The reason I'm placing the order tomorrow is to take advantage of the Digidesign month of June offers!

Does anyone think this is a stupid time to purchase a HD system because of the G5? Lata.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:39 AM

I am surprised the G5 is available. I am more surprised the G5 is compatible w/PT yet. There is usually a delay in making a new model compatible. For example: according to the Digi page, the new G4 1.42 is still not yet compatible. So WOW that the G5 is compatible.

Also I am surprised that you are only getting $1,000 off the list price. Are you sure it's not $1,000 of the Sweetwater everyday low price?

Congrats on the new G5 and HD1. I can't wait until I can make the switch to HD.

Rams Boy
Old 06-26-2003, 05:58 AM

By Vindogg1
Quote:
Since the G5 is supposedly going to be so damn powerful, I am planning on being able to not purchase any additional Gigastudio PCs at all, and just run my enormous Gigastudio libraries through either Logic EXS24 or Mach 5. Is this a reasonable assumption? I have received responses from other members in the forum who run fairly large Gigastudio samples in EXS24 on G4s and with the added power of the G5, this seems like a reality. If anyone has any ideas on this, please share, I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. My only question is if this is for personal use or for a commercial facilty. Because if it is for a commercial facility, there are so many unknown variables, that I would consider it an irresponsible decision. That's just me. First off and most important, what if the G5 doesn't work with Pro Tools, or if it doesn't work well or if it takes too long to be qualified? What if the G5's are louder than the dreaded MDD G4's? What if there is a hiccup on the Apple side from between now and August and they are pushed back for release until November? There are many, many unkowns in your scenario and I personally would never take those chances on a commercial facility.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:30 AM

$1000 off list is a joke, call Jon at Alto Music and you might be able to go to Hawaii with the money saved [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 06:50 AM

dutchmuzik, are you from somewhere in orange county, new york? this is the first time i've heard "alto's music" in a post. i must say that those guys are great there. especially jon. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 07:23 AM

On a major purchase like that you should get about 30% off retail list.

How much are they charging you for the install?

Also, G5's won't be out till Aug or Sept.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:28 AM

Sweetwater doesn't guarantee the lowest prices, but it is hard to beat their service and dedication to resolving customer problems. I have had them call me after hours to make sure everything was OK, etc. Whether this is worth it is an individual call. On Digi stuff, I call Digi with problems. It works fastest for me.

That said, just don't rely on all your Giga libraries translating perfectly to any other format. I have had little luck translating anything to KONTAKT, for instance. I haven't used EXS so I have no idea. But libraries like Steinway B, Giga Drums, and Purrfect Drums have been problematical, as well as some Sonic Implants stuff. I am going back to GIGA to run sounds that I just have to have running with no problems.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:44 AM

Sweetwater doesn't guarantee the lowest prices, but it is hard to beat their service and dedication to resolving customer problems. I have had them call me after hours to make sure everything was OK, etc. Whether this is worth it is an individual call. On Digi stuff, I call Digi with problems. It works fastest for me.

That said, just don't rely on all your Giga libraries translating perfectly to any other format. I have had little luck translating anything to KONTAKT, for instance. I haven't used EXS so I have no idea. But libraries like Steinway B, Giga Drums, and Purrfect Drums have been problematical, as well as some Sonic Implants stuff. I am going back to GIGA to run sounds that I just have to have running with no problems.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign