Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Default screen updating suddenly is slow and jumpy

I am not talking about the GUI freeze.

I have a 90 min film, mixed on PT7.1.3 last December. Now we have reconformed to a new version, about the same length. Using 7.3.1, recent CS, MOJO. I started with my previous session file, inserted 2 hours of silence near the head (to move the old audio to start at 3 hours and open up blank space at 1 hour). Then, using an EDL, cut and paste old audio to the new picture starting at 1 hour. (Software conform was not an option, don't get me started!) There are maybe 120 tracks and auxes, master faders, etc. Anyway, for the most part everything works as it should. After the first round of cut and paste there were many sections of silence in the new version. New audio is to be mixed into them from an omf file and/or effects library, to match the new pictures that were added.

Here's the problem. During a couple of those silent sections (not all of them) the GUI and automation updating suddenly becomes very slow. You can watch the GUI timecode display and at the instant the playback cursor hits the beginning of silence the numbers start updating only about twice per second. Not just the number readout but the entire display and responsiveness to keyboard and mouse commands. This continues until playback hits the next area where I have pasted old audio. At that moment the GUI behaves normally again. A couple of these silent areas are over a minute long and the slow GUI makes it difficult to work within them. I have just finished working on one of them and noticed that the automation is noticeably less accurate (volume, for instance) and editing and scrubbing anywhwere within this area is a nightmare, the system is so slow and sluggish. Highlighting a selection is particularly difficult. Pro Control faders do not jump, though, and recorded automation is not affected as badly.

If I turn off automation the slow GUI is instantly okay. It is a problem related to automation. Adding new material and automation to the area does not make any difference. I have tried manually printing new automation "straight lines" through the affected areas on all tracks, but that makes no difference. This was my attempt to "thin automation" through the slow areas. Now I am at a loss with how to make things right again.

Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: screen updating suddenly is slow and jumpy

hi richard -

no great ideas, but i can tell you what i would do next (which by now i'm sure you've tried. but i don't feel like working, i'd rather DUC!).

1. you've narrowed it down to an automation problem. did you check plugin automation? pan, etc? i agree it sounds like some super-dense automation breakpoints or something bogging the system down. so check all the different kinds of automation.

2. copy a chunk (all tracks) that goes across new audio to empty space to new audio, and paste it way down the timeline, after your other stuff. then try playing across the change-over there. same issue?

3. and last but not least, the old import all the tracks into a new empty session. as you know, sometimes this seems to clear up these funky problems. the old session is somehow corrupted, and the new one works. which reminds me - a subset of this method is that sometimes its just one track that is corrupted. have you done any selectibve track de-activation (with the automation on) to see if its tied to a specific track(s)?

best i got, and i'm sure nothing you didn't think of. let me know if you figure out the root cause, or the work around.

stay cool -

joe
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: screen updating suddenly is slow and jumpy

Yup, it was something simple. There are a couple of ReverbOne's that were slowly gliding from their old settings at the end of one pasted area to the settings at the beginning of a new pasted area. I went through and "flat lined" the audio tracks but I apparently overlooked these plugs. Flattening the automation ramps fixed it. Thanks for your help!