Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Again on latency of MIX24 system. HEEEELP!

I can't get rid of latency when i bus the signal of an audio track to an aux input. Example:
Audio track playing (problem is more evident when playing a percussive sound such a snare). Create a mono send routed to a mono Aux track (all the faders setted to 0db in order to have the same signal level on audio and aux track). The two tracks now have little dephasing which is very audible. If i now plug 2 delay compensation plugins on both the tracks and invert the phase in one of the plugin i expect to cancel out the signal when sample delay of the two tracks are the same (or more or less the same). However playing with sample delays i CAN'T cancel the signal...WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?????? I'M REALLY GOING CRAZY!

please can someone help me?

TIA
Old 08-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Again on latency of MIX24 system. HEEEELP!

You won't ever be able to get that scenario to work. The mix systems simply didn't have the delay compensation capabilities to adjust for delay of signals within the channel strip. The solution people came up with was to bus the OUTPUT of the snare track (or whatever) to 2 identical aux's with the same input assignment. One can serve as your effected signal, the other your dry signal. If you assign the same plugs or use time adjuster, you should be able to match the latency between those tracks.

This was a thoroughly discussed subject back when people were still using mix systems. I don't know if a search of the forums would turn up stuff going back that far though.

Good luck!