Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Digitranslator

wow thanks for all the feedback. I should say that the entire thing was already a completed .MOV when I recieved it. The editor was out of town, so the producer needed someone to fix some mild audio problems. I've been working in audio since 97 on music and voice overs, but never film. Always wanted to though. this is a first

He said that "due to way it was put together", that I couldn't get separate tracks via .OMF anyway. When I pulled in the left and right tracks from the .MOV, I immediatly noticed that the problem was the low level of the camera mic on dialogue right before going into the full blown sequence with a higher quality narration from the same woman. Then I noticed that the camera mic sections were only on the left channel(with music in the background)! Since the right only had music, I was forced to double the left channel dialogue by copying it to a third track. This and some mild compression and volume adjustment was all I did. It was painful though, and I do see the importance of investing in DV Toolkit. I'm just wondering if getting Digitranslator is wise, since they sell it separatly. I have no desire to edit film, but it sounds like DV Toolkit has some required functionality for future opportunities.

Thanks for the offer to take on the .OMF btw. I will certainly purchase the book and start diving in. I guess I'm a little cautious on spending another dime after getting a new system from these guys www.terradigitalaudio.com

Cheers!
bEN
www.myspace.com/benlong
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I have no desire to edit film, but it sounds like DV Toolkit has some required functionality for future opportunities.

Who's talking about editing film? DV Toolkit adds functionality to Pro Tools LE for doing post SOUND work. It's not meant for cutting video, although every version of Pro Tools 7.2 and above already allows you to edit a video track.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Hello tonejunkee:

I've said for some time that Digi mis-named their "DV Toolkit" product. It should really be called "HD Light". You get more tracks, better automation tools, SMPTE rulers, Digitranslator, more key commands, the list goes on and on...

Buy it, you'll use it, and wonder how you did any work without it.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com