Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Long term saving

Hi all,

I am a new MIX + user and still have lots to learn. My question is after you finish one project, and are ready to move on to another, what method do you use for long term, safe storage?? (Assuming it is something you want to save) I know this is probably just personal preference, but I wanted ideas on what other people do. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Long term saving

I archive sessions to DVD.

YMMV,

dave
Old 02-07-2003, 01:53 PM

I burn CD's. Takes a long time, but it's safe.
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 02-08-2003, 01:36 AM

I use DVD-RAM. When I'll have money I'll buy an Ultrium drive.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:32 AM

For album archiving, a FireWire drive in removable bay. Is used for onging back-up during production, then pops out at the end and you're all set. Makes sense for large projects; very convenient and reasonably cost-effective. Some may fret about shelf life of drives, long-term capability to interface with future technologies, etc. Recommend re-evaluating archiving practices every three to five years.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AE:
For album archiving, a FireWire drive in removable bay. Is used for onging back-up during production, then pops out at the end and you're all set. Makes sense for large projects; very convenient and reasonably cost-effective. Some may fret about shelf life of drives, long-term capability to interface with future technologies, etc. Recommend re-evaluating archiving practices every three to five years.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second that.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:14 AM

i usually transfer the files from my firewire to cd's, or dvd's. ill do two backups per song and store them in a safe place, but make sure you verify them. then ill wipe the drive i used clean for the next project.
this is a cheap reliable way of archiving. i wouldnt feel comfortable with my backups on drives. its exspensive as well......
Old 02-09-2003, 08:17 AM

Hello. I would concur with the hard drive option, and add to it that if it's just strictly for archiving, you can get a cheap EIDE 5400 rpm. 80 gigs run you about $70 to $80, about 1 gig per dollar. Can't get better than that.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:35 AM

I use FireWire dives as well. I just got a project that was backed up on a OnStream cartridge with retrospect. It's been a bit difficult to find anybody with the hardward/software combination to retrieve the sessions. I think FireWire will outlive all of these other "safe" options, like CD and Tape backups. CDs will be like floppy disks soon, and with the tape systems, you have to have the same version of Retrospect ( or whatever was used) to retrieve or even look at the data. Almost anyone can open a FireWire Drive and find what they're looking for. It also backs up about 10 times faster.

Steve