Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Why No Further Support For Digidesign HD Chassis??

Is it not ludicrous that having bought a £2000 piece of Digidesign Hardware, not long ago, that Digidesign should announce that it will no longer be continuing support for the Digidesign HD Expansion Chassis beyond Pro Tools 8.03!!! I find this outrageous considering the amount of time and money I have invested in Digidesign and, it is just another example of the lack of support, and consideration, Digidesign shows its customers!

I have been a loyal advocate of protools, running two HD 3 rigs, an HD 2 and a Mix cube system, but this is just the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. This is just a blatant ploy to force existing HD PCI users, who are happy with the systems they alread have, to pay thousands just to upgrade to PCIe cards, for no other reason than to line the pockets of Digidesign!

It is also outrageous that they should support the existing Magma Chassis and not their own branded product...why is this? Is it because Magma are still selling their chassis for nearly £2000 as opposed to Digidesign chassis which are going for a lot less on the second hand market? Do they only deem people who shell out for the over priced Magma worthy of being able to run Pro Tools 8 on the latest Mac Pro's. I think it may be time time to move to another platform.

Digidesign...Sort It Out!!!
There are plenty of studios like ours that will be in the same situation, your losing customers!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Why No Further Support For Digidesign HD Chassis??

Probably because they tested it and it didn't work with SL , so instead of trying to make it work , I think it was easier to drop support .
Old 11-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodia View Post
Probably because they tested it and it didn't work with SL , so instead of trying to make it work , I think it was easier to drop support .
And that's fine, but what about the thousands of users who do not use Snow Leopard (Or can't because of still owning PPC's)? We don't give a crap if it works with SL or not. Seems like Digi is in the process of offending a boat load of customers they really can't afford to loose. I mean if I HAVE to make a move to a new Mac, I may as well make a less expensive move to Logic too right?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyelvis View Post
I HAVE to make a move to a new Mac, I may as well make a less expensive move to Logic too right?
wouldn go as far as that,after all Logic is far from PRO on many levels,try monitoring issues for starters.
but seems that w SL our choices have been minimized

i read somewere Apple dont give a rats ass abandoning customers..
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 PM

From what I could remember I investigated Expansion Chassis very heavy before I bought. The interface on the Digi chassis was very high in latency due to the interface design. I am so glad I looked into it close and bought a Magma. I know it's crappy having something so expensive discontinued ( Former SBS owner) which is why I did a lot did research before I jumped.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
wouldn go as far as that,after all Logic is far from PRO on many levels,try monitoring issues for starters.
but seems that w SL our choices have been minimized

i read somewere Apple dont give a rats ass abandoning customers..
does that surprise you? now when the APPL stock is above 200US, who gives a S*** about customers
Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 AM

I do remember the marketing for the Digi Chassis trumped up the new interface card with the cat5 connection, specifically using the phrase "future proof."

Not that I trusted Digidesign to do anything right before this... but this certainly doesn't help.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
I do remember the marketing for the Digi Chassis trumped up the new interface card with the cat5 connection, specifically using the phrase "future proof."

Not that I trusted Digidesign to do anything right before this... but this certainly doesn't help.
Well, if there's is as rumored a new HD system or PCIe card on the horizon! then can you imagine the outcry from all of us Magma PCIx chassis owners

Yes lets see how future proof a Magma PE6R4 is when Digi eventually announce a new HD system!! sure it won't be PCIx based.

Got on myself

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.