Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 07:39 AM

Default V-amp Pro - Guitarists - need your input

Getting ready to purchase a couple of items this weekend - (also started a separate thread on Samson monitors).

I've searched this site and everywhere else I can think of for info on the Behringer V-amp Pro - I'd say 99% say it's a great amp simulator/effects box.

Probably 75% of what I'll be recording will be electric guitar so I'm looking for a good effects processor.

Also had a question about recording via the SPDIF input on the Mbox - Will I notice a difference in quality versus a normal input? The big difference between the Vamp and the Vamp Pro is the digital output - just wondering if it's worth the extra money.

Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: V-amp Pro - Guitarists - need your input

I like V-amp, but I'll probably get jumped on for that
Old 03-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Do you notice the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit? If not, then don't bother w/digital...

A lot of people are down on behringer's products because they aren't made well and don't use very good components. So in a silence-hungry industry, a lot of little hum and hiss additions from your outboard gear doesn't jibe well. But if you can't hear a hum or hiss or anything else, and you don't mind that the things' not still going to be around in 20 years, then go for it.
-Olaf
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM

i often find behringer products to be quite good, but i was not truly impressed with the V-amp or the V-amp pro. While it has some nice presets and some neat mods you can do on it, i liked the Line 6 much more...my 2 cents.

-ev
Old 03-29-2004, 01:38 PM

Vamp Pro is my fav of all the amp modellers, software or hardware.
Build quality is very nice, considering it is behringer, and their reputation.

If you get one, turn it on and leave it on overnight. If it is still working perfectly in the morning, then try turning it on and off alot for several minutes, spin the knobs, etc. Still all good? Be sure to try the MIDI out- the Windows editor is awesome- very simple, very easy to use. If it all works well after the first week, prolly will last for a LONG time.

I liked the Vamp Pro enough that I got one for my bedroom first, and then another for my studio. And I already own a slew of other choices. While I like it alot, I have not found an amp modeller yet I would use instead of my "real amps" for "keeper tracks." If micing an amp isn't possible for some reason, or I am lazy, Vamp Pro gets used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.