Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Default From LE to HD should I stay 48k or go 96k? 192?

Any opinions would be appreciated. I just stepped up from LE (001) to HD (HD1 w/192) and was wondering if I should stay at 48k or go to 96k? Or even the extreme of 192? I work on a variety of material, from rock bands to post production. What are some of the positives? What are some of the negatives? If I'm eventually just bouncing down to 44.1 for a CD should I start with 41.1? All the sound design I do for film, I usually do at 48k.
Will it take up twice the drive space? Will the track count be lower than the 48 stated by digi? How much power will I have for plug-ins, or just power period? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

((a
Old 07-20-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: From LE to HD should I stay 48k or go 96k? 192?

44.1 for cd productions

48 for movie stuff

the rate conversion destroys the sound if you don't have any have any hardware that does it better than protools...

also of course 88.2 takes up double the amount of disk space / dsp etc.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Re: From LE to HD should I stay 48k or go 96k? 192?

If you don't use it,,, then why'd ya buy it ya know??? So my opinion is record at 88.2... Conversion is still good with that because the math is easy for you inboard PT converter.(Because I do agree with the other guy about conversion doing more harm than the good of recording at a higher sampling rate)... BUT you were always able to record at 44.1- 48 with LE,,, so what the hells the big difference with HD if ya dont go PAST 48(I mean justify that big price you paid man!!).. But like dude said, the conversion can kill ya if you aint got some great outboard DA/ AD's, SRC's and a "Big Ben" or something... But what he failed to mention (or maybe didn't know) is just always stay in incriments of 44.1 ..... In other words 48 is OUT, don't ever use it... And 192 is OUT don't use that either,,(especially cause of the disk space it uses, PLUS the low amount of track count... Unless it's for a final mix, and then you take that final mix to a PRO mastering lab, then you can go with a stereo 192 mix,, that's cool), But I think 88.2 is the ideal recording sampling rate. It's real high, therfore sounds excellent,, you still get a good track count with it, and it don't take up that much disk space, AND the most important is it is an even incriment math number to 44.1, so conversion is done easier with higher quality via less errors. And ALSO 176.4 sampling rate is very good for that reason as well, but then your using alot of disk space, and low track count. So my advice is ,,,, it depends on where your going with it after your done with the mix.. Example:
If your doing it ALL at home, then 88.2 or 176.4 sampling rates... If your taking it to a PRO Mastering Lab (has to be PRO,, like Bernis Grundmans or something equal) then 96 or 192 is cool, but DO NOT try to convert any of those sessions/songs/files. Just mix them down to a MULTI MONO MIX at the SAME SAMPLING RATE and BIT RATE that the session is.. Then let the Mastering lab Master, and convert it with there super duper gear.. !!!!!!
Hope that helps my friend..........