Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools V8 with SSL Delta Link MADI HD

I had a HUGE issue that was like finding a needle in a haystack in my system, and ended up being the DeltaLink.

I had to RE-install the firmware (same vrsion), and also unclock and re-clock. It's been fine since.

It was absolutely brain-damaging before.
Mac OSX 10.10.5
UAD Apollo Quad
UAD Satellite Octo

PT 11.3.2
Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Retina
Mac OSX 10.10.5
16 GB RAM
Presonus 24.4.2Ai
UAD Apollo Quad
Old 09-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
I had a HUGE issue that was like finding a needle in a haystack in my system, and ended up being the DeltaLink.

I had to RE-install the firmware (same vrsion), and also unclock and re-clock. It's been fine since.

It was absolutely brain-damaging before.
What problems were you having before you did the above?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 AM

I was experiencing a very high spike at 15.7 kHz across all the audio tracks. You could see it on any channel if you put an analyzer on it. It presented like a very high modulation, a bit like rivets on some systemic cymbal. I mean really high! Made you grit your teeth, but it was hard to get a handle on what we were hearing.

I had just upgraded to a Mac Pro, and initially had a Magma chassis, so I wouldn't have to crossgrade to the PCIe cards. Initially I (and so did Magma) suspected the issue was with the chassis. But they changed it and no improvement. I even changed computers. I had to deconstruct my system and put it back together one component at a time till I narrowed it down.

The weirdest thing is that the DeltaLink worked fine with the old system. Some weird interaction with the new computer!

All is stable now.
Mac OSX 10.10.5
UAD Apollo Quad
UAD Satellite Octo

PT 11.3.2
Mac OSX 10.10.5
16 GB RAM
Presonus 24.4.2Ai
UAD Apollo Quad
Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 AM

We use it here with a Sys 5 and V8 no problem. If you have the older Euphonix hardware it will just not give you audio if you are sending a 64 channel madi stream into its 56 channel madi input. Sometimes we notice that the delta link had set itself to 64 channel mode which we have a problem with if using the 767 format converter. Try switching the modes in the delta link (using the A or B outs in the hardware setup I believe).
Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
I was experiencing a very high spike at 15.7 kHz across all the audio tracks. You could see it on any channel if you put an analyzer on it. It presented like a very high modulation, a bit like rivets on some systemic cymbal. I mean really high! Made you grit your teeth, but it was hard to get a handle on what we were hearing.

I had just upgraded to a Mac Pro, and initially had a Magma chassis, so I wouldn't have to crossgrade to the PCIe cards. Initially I (and so did Magma) suspected the issue was with the chassis. But they changed it and no improvement. I even changed computers. I had to deconstruct my system and put it back together one component at a time till I narrowed it down.

The weirdest thing is that the DeltaLink worked fine with the old system. Some weird interaction with the new computer!

All is stable now.
Thanks, not sure of a way around this, I suspect its a problem with the mac pro and the delta-links but not sure of the best way of eliminating the problem.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR424 View Post
We use it here with a Sys 5 and V8 no problem. If you have the older Euphonix hardware it will just not give you audio if you are sending a 64 channel madi stream into its 56 channel madi input. Sometimes we notice that the delta link had set itself to 64 channel mode which we have a problem with if using the 767 format converter. Try switching the modes in the delta link (using the A or B outs in the hardware setup I believe).
Yep, like I said above, we've tried it with another Sys 5 and its working fine so I don't think the problem is with the console. I've also tried toggling the modes in hardware set-up and no change.

I'm in discussions with SSL about this and they've not come across the problem before and are no real help tbh.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasher View Post
Thanks, not sure of a way around this, I suspect its a problem with the mac pro and the delta-links but not sure of the best way of eliminating the problem.
As I said, after I reinstalled the firmware and toggled the clock (from sync I/O to internal and back again) it has been stable ever since.

Give it a shot...
Mac OSX 10.10.5
UAD Apollo Quad
UAD Satellite Octo

PT 11.3.2
Mac OSX 10.10.5
16 GB RAM
Presonus 24.4.2Ai
UAD Apollo Quad
Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old Topic Danny & everyone!

I am having a nightmare setting up my SSL madi with a new protools rig (magma chassis) and was wondering how you reinstalled the firmware without a PC? (I'm all mac here)

Any help gratefully received. I am 64 channel, so my toggles are set AAAB (then all B)

I've tried everything and no lock on the MADI.

Nightmare!

THanks

Paul