Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Wacky detection of IDE devices ???

Ok, I currently have two WDD hard drives. My Audio drive is a 20GIG 7200Rpm drive set to "master" on my secondary IDE. I have a 40gig 5400RPM system drive mastered on my primary IDE. My cd-rom happens to be the slave on my primary system drive. Now I keep running into these -6086 errors that no one else in the world has but me. I think its similar to that -9093 error because the message is the same " held off interrupts for to long" ect ect... Anyway, I unplug my cdrom and then reboot the computer, the computer can detect the two WDD hard drives but cannot load windows XP. Gives me some system drive error. I go ahead and plug the cdrom back in, slaving the primary and all is well with the boot up. Now it takes my computer a pretty long time to detect my three IDE devices. I think the poor little fella is trying a lot harder then he should. My setup before this question all started was the system and audio drive on the same cable. The audio slaving the the system drive. The cdrom had its own secondary cable. The computer detected the IDE devices almost instantaniously in this setup but resulted in -9093 errors which forced me to change it around and hence this new post. So I guess the big question I have here is this: Is it typical for a computer to have these ide problems when you switch things around like I have? I know I need to configure the "ms/cs/slave" jumpers every time I change things around. I never moved the system drive out of the primary IDE1 position. I ordered a new set of IDE cables, those round ones that make life easier or something. Anyone have any experience with those round IDE cables? Thanks for all your help and reading this post. I know there are a lot of posts on the DUC on cables but not to much on the round ones and those symptoms I am having and definatly nothing on that -6086 error. Thanks for being digidesigns TRUE techinical support.
-MSI MS-6378 Ver 2.0 Micro ATX mainboard
-AMD ATHLON 1.3Ghz processor
-VIA KLE133(not mixed) chipset
-512Meg of memory
-WINDOWS XP SP1
-firmware20
-(IDE 1 MASTER)western digital 40gig HDD (DMA enabled according to there directions from the WD website, which are identical to digi's directions).
-(IDE2 MASTER)western digitial 20gig audio drive
-(IDE 1 SLAVE)50x cd player
-USB 2.0 PCI CARD for the mbox
all com ports, printer ports, onboard USB (wouldnt work for the mbox), Ethernet, onboard sound disabled. This is a MBOX only computer! Thanks for any inputs.
R/ Gene
-I posted this on another page by accident, i know how some people really hate that stuff, so sorry if you ran into this post twice.
--------------------------------------------------
What do you mean my three month warranty is up and you cant help me?
Old 03-09-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Wacky detection of IDE devices ???

WD drives have separate jumper settings for master and single. pay close attention to that!

* use single if the drive is the ONLY device on the cable
* use master is its the master device AND there is a slave present on the cable
Old 03-09-2003, 06:17 PM

Attention to detail. I will definatly take a look at that and see if I missed it. Thanks man.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:17 AM

Thanks B. I got that IDE detection problem solved with your suggestion. Now its a matter of figureing out that 6086. Talk to you later.
Gene
Old 03-10-2003, 10:28 AM

for your 6086 error, try putting the 2 drives together on ide 1 and put the cdrom on ide 2 by itself.

then download and install the latest 4-in-1 drivers: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...t_dvr_list.php
Old 03-10-2003, 03:39 PM

Hey man thanks for your very valuable input. I put the two hard drives on IDE1. The cd is set for single and its on IDE2. Im sure the 4in1 drivers were much needed because I have formatted this computer a dozen times and never installed the VIA drivers.Unfortunatly I continue to get that error. It seems to be more persistant with big plugins though. Some plugins wont even allow my tracks to play if they are opened. I can get away with the digi plugins opened up ( i cant move them or adjust them though. Some of the waves plugins that I have though wont even play while they are open. I had this problem before the waves were ever on the computer so I can rule them out. Also, the IDE drives appear to be working just fine. No software running in the background and the 4in1 drivers are up to date. Im beginning to suspect my ADS usb 2.0 card. The answer base blamed one incedent on multiple usb devices ( I dont have multiple devices) and also a switching usb card. I think they mean a card that can detect a 1.1 or 2.0 device and switch to that devices requirments. Maybe ?? Baztard they should pay you for what you do because those guys on the phone are a waste of everyones time ( well, at least my time) the tech support I was talking to on the phone never even attempted to get back with me on a possible solution to this problem. Any more ideas would be greatly appreaciated, and sorry for the spelling.

Gene
Old 03-10-2003, 07:31 PM

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] BaSsTaRd, my bad!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 07:56 PM

have you tried pulling the usb cards out?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:57 AM

Well, I have tried swapping PCI slots. I tried every usb port on the card including the internal one. All with no luck. If I pulled the USB completely out of the computer then I would have no way of pluggin my mbox in. I origionaly bought the card becaus my onboard USB didnt supply enough power or something to the Mbox, causing it to stop working as soon as protools loaded. The only things I have left to blame (I think) is that USB card and my motherboard. The thing that gets me is at one time it worked just fine with my setup. That was one time though. Ever since that I havent seemed to make it work. I thought maybe it was a software issue up until I reformatted and started over. Thanks for the idea's though BaSstard, so far you have helped me more then anyone.