Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Beat Detective Question

I have just loaded PT7 and am using Beat detective for the first time.
When I select my 8 grouped drum tracks.... it is only the top track in of the selection that is effected by Beat detective in both the analize process and the separate process.
Am I doing something stupid here??? I thought after reading the manual several times I should be able to operate on all tracks?????
Please help...... I hope it's not a stupid newby BD question.

cheers,

Lozzzam
Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Beat Detective Question

search the forum for Beat detective threads.
That's one of the limitations of Beat Detective in LE systems. THe way you wanted to use it is for TDM systems, but there are workarounds for doing it in LE systems, and you'll find them in your search
Old 11-24-2005, 07:00 AM

Beat Detective LE cannot be used across multiple tracks. When Beat Detective LE is applied to multiple tracks, only the top track is edited.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:32 AM

A guy on the DUC called Shane posted this very helpful workaround for using Beat Detective LE on multitrack drums. I've found that it takes about an hour to edit a 4 minute song top to bottom, but an hour of my time is a lot cheaper than buying or hiring a TDM rig just to do drum edits.

How to use Beat Detective on a multi track drum kit in PT LE

- Create a stereo audio track and place it above the Drum kit in the edit window.
- Submix your drums(record them) to the stereo track you just created.(Or just submix the area you want to apply Beat Detective to)
- 'Group' the whole kit along with the newly created submix.
- Select the area that you will use BD on in the stereo submix.
- Open BD to separate regions. Notice if you grab the yellow lines for fine adjustment it appears all the way down your whole kit. (very helpful for fine editing)
- When you separate regions in BD only your submix gets separated.
- With the grabber tool select the first separated region. Since your tracks are grouped you'll notice the selection extends all the way down your whole kit.
- Hit 'B' key (Commands Focus mode) and your whole kit will have it's first separate region.
- Hit TAB(without the tab to transient on) This will Locate the edit cursor to the next region-boundary.
- Hit 'B' key again to separate the whole group.
- Keep doing this until the area you want to BD is all separated. You should be able to do it very fast. TAB then 'B', TAB then 'B', TAB then 'B', etc.
- Ungroup your drum kit now.
- Select the area you want to BD on your first kit peice track. Kick drum for example.
- Open BD and apply 'region conform' to your selected area. Hit the 'semi-colon' key to move the selection down to the next track and hit 'conform' again. Repeat this until each kit peice is done. You can do this very fast.
- Now do the exact same step above to edit smoothing.

Kyle