Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Plug-in Alternatives to Dolby CAT 43 noise red

There is a hardware / software hybrid alternate. Cedar DNS-200 is a 2 channel (stereo or two separate mono) device with very effective dynamic noise filters driven by on-screen faders for real-time NR with low latency. Automation is linked to session time-code for dynamic or snapshot automation and the faders have enough range to really hear a difference. A little pricy but a very valuable tool. Site is http://www.cedar-audio.com
Old 05-13-2005, 01:21 PM

> Cedar DNS-200<

That would be the DNS-2000, which is a great solution that I use all the time. It costs about $8000 though, so might be out of the range of Ciaran's resources. They can be rented though, depending on the city you're in.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
>ADR<

Henchman, you should know by now the obvious is never the answer in this forum.
I know. But if you can't solve it by rolling off some bottom end, and setting the C4 up properly as well as even a c1 set up to lower the noisefloor, then the client should have been made aware in advance that this was going to be a problem, and give them the decision to ADR or not.
If they decided to not ADR, then the responsibility that the final audio will sound pretty crappy rests entirely with them.
It's all about covering your ass.

So, Roll-off bottom end. C4 and c1, and too smooth it over add a compatible mono bg track.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I know. But if you can't solve it by rolling off some bottom end, and setting the C4 up properly as well as even a c1 set up to lower the noisefloor, then the client should have been made aware in advance that this was going to be a problem, and give them the decision to ADR or not.
If they decided to not ADR, then the responsibility that the final audio will sound pretty crappy rests entirely with them.
It's all about covering your ass.

So, Roll-off bottom end. C4 and c1, and too smooth it over add a compatible mono bg track.
Agreed. In this case, the client delivered the files last night, and are too miserly to ADR the few moments that need fixing. So, we are left with no alternative but to do the best we can with what we have. ADR would have been the obvious choice alright.... but obviousness is ignorance to some!

My C4 and C1 should be arriving via FedEx in the morrow!!!!! Yipee.... My plan had been to roll off on the bottom and add a good BG track to fill in the holes. Now I'm going to try out the C's on it too and see how they can improve it further

In the meantime, its back to the 48 hours before mixtime that I've left to begin and finish the 29 minutes of score!

Ciaran
www.ciaranhope.com
Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The 6 bands on the WaveArts vs the 4 on the Waves C4 can sometimes pull off miracles. The WaveArts lets you hone in on problem areas better and you don't have to deal with WUP! (but that's another story...)
Hi Pirate,
I'm starting my 30 day trial of the Wavearts bundle and toying with the bands and functionality. I was particulary interested in this plugin as my alternative to the CAT 43 as there are several scenes that have way way to much wind noise on mics and I have to solve it this Sunday to be exact Have you any suggestions using either the C4 or the Wavearts?

yours

Ciaran
This kind of question is not something that anyone could answer without hearing the material. Wind noise could be low freq, hi freq or right in the diaouge range. The two things I can offer are learn the plug-in and hopefully the solution, if there is one will make itself apparent, or email me and I'll take a listen. If I can fix it we can come up with a special DUC rate for my services(It will be more than $15 per hour...).
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This kind of question is not something that anyone could answer without hearing the material. Wind noise could be low freq, hi freq or right in the diaouge range. The two things I can offer are learn the plug-in and hopefully the solution, if there is one will make itself apparent
Pirate is right on the $$$$$
Every situation is different. If it weren't ... they wouldn't need us.

This may help ... try soloing the different bands of the C4. Isolate the problem band and leave the rest alone (to the extent possible.
Peace,
Old 05-14-2005, 10:55 AM

I ran the Wavearts plugin in on it and it made such a difference. It was much more intuitive than I had expected! An amazing noise reduction. The Waves plugins arrive to day so I'll see where they take it!

If we don't ask the questions we can never learn the answers! Yes pirate is right. Learning the plugin certainly brings a solution. The discussion on plugins instead of the CAT 43 pointed down the right path and suddenly a whole new world of audio fixes present themselves!

Ciaran
www.ciaranhope.com

Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM

(It will be more than $15 per hour...).

Hold your ground Peter. You'll crack that $20 an hour barrier yet. By the way, we are talking about parking rates at the Arclight , right?