Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Shilla-

Hi Shilla.....in the rap/hiphop genre, I think this is well done. Good production, vocals, and beat...only 2 chords throughout the whole song(C to Gm), but it works well for this and somehow doesn't become monotonous.

Nice job...

-Roy
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 AM

Inteldoc-

Quote:
Still working out the kinks in this one, but here is song 4 of the upcoming five song EP. Gotta get some things lined up still with tom hits, etc, but I like where it is heading. The middle section will have some more stuff going on too.

Ignite The Flame

Doc

Nice job on this so far, Chris...here's what I'm hearing...on the mix, the drums sound very good...main guitars sound good overall(though I don't care for the one little 'bee buzz' guitar).......the 'drone' guitar in the background, I would let that drone half as long as it does, then cut it off abruptly, to let those other guitars breath......the middle part is interesting and pretty cool.

That said, there is something I can't put my finger on about the overall mix. I think it's that everything almost sounds too separate from each other, as opposed to gelling well together.

I know you're not finished with this...good job so far. Hope some of that will be helpful...post back your progress.

-Roy
Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 AM

Roy,
I agree with ya. That drown guitar is there to simply not make it so boring of a tune. The da-de-da-da... da-de-da-de-da part was simple ya know. This made it a little more beefier I felt, but I see what you are saying. I have been seeing that a lot of theor material is always competing for each other due to being too busy. What can ya do right?

Thanks though. I just really want to get this one done to be honest. Not necessarily "Producing" if you will, but trying to make it interesting. For 1 it is too long I think.

Thanks,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Hi CYE...I know it's been a while since you posted, but I just got a chance to listen and reply. I really like this song...and good job on the vocal...my main mix suggestion is that the rhythm section(bass and drums) feels exceptionally thin and 'lite' for this type of song. I would try a mix and concentrate on getting the core rhythm section hot on it's own first, then bring in the rest. All the other elements are there. I think it would do wonders for the overall production.

Just my objective opinion, but as I say, good song...good job so far.

-Roy
Hey Roy,

Thanks so much for the feedback - seems like you have been on a listening kick lately! Anyway, I was hoping to get some more info from you. And if you would prefer to do this by private e-mail, just let me know ([email protected]).

When you say that the rhythm section needs to be ‘hotter’ does that mean more compression? Or does it just need to be louder in the mix? This has been an ongoing problem for me. I know that my room is not even close to being properly acoustically setup and as a result I keep having issues with getting the appropriate amount of bass in my mixes. I have gotten an equalizer that I run before my monitors and I tried to set that up with a frequency generator session that I got from the DigiZine – Groundwork article from the Spring 2006 issue. I got a dB meter and tried to make the frequency response as flat as I could, but I guess it’s still not right. Enough rambling, I guess I’m just curious about those first two questions from above.

Thanks again for listening!!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Hi CYE...I know it's been a while since you posted, but I just got a chance to listen and reply. I really like this song...and good job on the vocal...my main mix suggestion is that the rhythm section(bass and drums) feels exceptionally thin and 'lite' for this type of song. I would try a mix and concentrate on getting the core rhythm section hot on it's own first, then bring in the rest. All the other elements are there. I think it would do wonders for the overall production.

Just my objective opinion, but as I say, good song...good job so far.

-Roy
Hey Roy,

Thanks so much for the feedback..........

When you say that the rhythm section needs to be ‘hotter’ does that mean more compression? Or does it just need to be louder in the mix? This has been an ongoing problem for me. I know that my room is not even close to being properly acoustically setup and as a result I keep having issues with getting the appropriate amount of bass in my mixes. I have gotten an equalizer that I run before my monitors and I tried to set that up with a frequency generator session that I got from the DigiZine – Groundwork article from the Spring 2006 issue. I got a dB meter and tried to make the frequency response as flat as I could, but I guess it’s still not right. Enough rambling, I guess I’m just curious about those first two questions from above.

Thanks again for listening!!

Hi CYE...

Listened again....the first thing I notice is the absence of low end here. There's no bottom, or at least not nearly enough...I can barely tell what the bass is doing as is. The first go-to to help correct this is, yes, to bring the bass up, but also try to eq it to feel good with the grungy rhythm guitar and drums. Give the bass some good, big round low end. Solo first the bass and drums to get a good level between them...go ahead and make them 'hot' on your overall level before bringing everything else in(you can always back them off later.)

Also, the drums(programmed I'm assuming)...they're kind of random and distracting in places as is....the little beat on the verses('Last time I saw you...") works fine, and I would return to it on each verse throughout. Then, on ALL the choruses, I would straighten it out(as I think you do here and there). The place where the toms get 'cocky' (in verse 3 maybe?) only distracts from the overall feel, imo....so I'de just keep it simple there.
Also, the crash cym is kind of cheesy, but can still work ok is you pull it back and compress it more.

Watch the guitar levels. The 'grungy' rhythm guitar is too hot in quite a few places(overall maybe). And the 'pan' guitar is too obvious...fine idea, but make it sit well in the production, instead of demanding that you notice it.

So...those are my ideas to try overall. Hope it helps. Post back with anything else.

-Roy
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Here is a track that i did last night for a TV Show.

GIRO

Sounds really dirty!

Peace,

Roger

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Just For Fun

Hi everyone. Hope this is as fun to listen to as it was to record:

Jeremy, Johnny-O, Josiane.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM

www.myspace.com/deadseriousmusic

its rap/r&b music...im kinda new with my mixes so bear with me lol
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM

www.myspace.com/fiore

the first song called "What's Wrong in All of Us"

i recently just recorded and mixed on a g5 imac (which I have to admit I hated. I need to get this studio a tower).

but! i'm happy with how everything came out.
PowerPC G5 dual 2.0gz
7 gigs ram
2 TB HD
Tannoy Monitors
Yamaha NS-10
Old 11-01-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Just For Fun

Jack Rabbit...I enjoyed that...interesting to hear you do something more uptempo than your other songs I've heard. Very creative stuff, as usual...

-Roy