Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM

Wink Really need your help with my track and vocals

Hi

Im writing because i really need your help with my newly produced track. Ive veen working hard for 4 years on learning Pro tools and creating a good demo that i Can give to the record labels.

I would really be glad if you would take the time and listen to my track and give me your honest opinion on my track.

What can i do better?

Ive veen told my vocals aint very good, [bleep]what am i doing wrong? Any good vocaltraining links? Or anything that Can help me?

Your help would be greatly appriciated

Link
http://glenroseonline.com/my-music

Download the song for Best quality

Thanks
Glen
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Really need your help with my track and vocals

Listening over my crappy 'puter speakers, it seems like a little mid dip on the guitar would allow the vocal a bit more space. As for the vocal, it could benefit from AutuTune or Melodyne to solve the slight pitch issues. Sounds like the drums are some simple loops(like ezdrummer?) so maybe go thru the midi(piano roll) and add a little variation here and there(ghost notes on snare and maybe make the kick pattern a little more varied). I would also pull the crash cymbals back a few clicks. If your drums are able to be split out to separate tracks(maybe they are already), then I would add a touch of low end to the kick drum. Is the bass a single DI track? If yes, I would AUX send it to a mono AUX track and insert an amp sim to give it some girth(without making it much louder). Amplitube SVX works great, Amplitube2 or 3(or any amp sim) can work fine by choosing a simple tube preamp and tube power amp combo. Or you can do it with SamsAmp if that's all you have(just to give the bass some "attitude").

Overall, its really not that far off(and I tune vocals that are way worse all the time). I would like to hear a little more emotion in the vocal delivery, but that's between you and your lyrics(and maybe you delivered it exactly the way you like, so don't feel you MUST do anything that I or anyone else suggests).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Verse sections are definitely out of tune and slightly off beat in a few parts, but when the chorus/bridge comes in and the drums drop out at the 1:00 mark, sounds great. Almost sounds like a totally different vocalist. Not really my genre of expertise, so I can't be of much more help than that. Vocal quality sounds good, a little lite though.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 07-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Albee - thanks for your input . I will.difently look a a better bass sound, and use a autotune.
Proberly use some sim, cuz ive got amplitube. I will rerecord the vocals with some new technicques.

Dj hellfire - thanks for the help. Glad hear the chorus sounds good. I will take a look at tese.vocals, and rerecord them, trying some other technicques.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 AM

A couple things that may help you with the pitch when you record vocals.
  • Make sure the mix in the cans is comfortable. Not too loud and not too soft overall, but also make sure that the vocal sounds like a part of the mix. If the vocal is on top of the mix, the vocalist will pull away from the mic, sing softer and very often sing flat. The result would be thin, out of tune vocals.
  • The guitar sounds pitchy here and there, and I've had good results muting instruments with pitch issues during vocal recording. You could try a piano and/or a strings pad or something.
Good luck! Wait...strike that. Luck has nothing to do with it. Keep at it!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 AM

@Stig thanks for the advice. I Think the problem unfortunately lies more in my techniques and missing ability to hit the pitch.

One person told mé, that my basic singing is off, and my singing dosent Sound good. BUT another told mé that its just my pitch..
Witch is it? Can you tell mé.?
I need to know what im doing wrong to work ón it
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegenni View Post
@Stig thanks for the advice. I Think the problem unfortunately lies more in my techniques and missing ability to hit the pitch.

One person told mé, that my basic singing is off, and my singing dosent Sound good. BUT another told mé that its just my pitch..
Witch is it? Can you tell mé.?
I need to know what im doing wrong to work ón it
Well, one can't say that something doesn't sound good, and then not give any reason as to why that is. Your voice sounds like it is - nothing to do with that really, and I don't think it sounds bad. But you need to work on keeping the pitch more centered. And if you think that your voice sounds a bit strange in comparison to the average chartfillers, then just know that it doesn't matter. Vocalists like Ozzy, Dio, Brad Roberts (Crash test dummies), Willie Nelson, Kate Bush, Tom Waits, etc. has loads and loads of character in their voice, and they're all successful artists.

Keep that pitch in check, and you're golden.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Stig - glad to hear that. Cuz i like my Sound. Im having a hard time hearing where im off pitch because im not that good a vocalist....yet....

So if youve Got the time, could you please give mé a timecode, where i Fall off pitch? Just as an exsample....
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

A couple examples from the first line:

Guess I never thought it'd come to this

If I was producing that song, those words would bother me. They're both consistently sharp, and that doesn't sound good to me.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks a lot Stig. Youve been very helpfull. Ill look into it tomorrow