Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Default Re: NEW DTS censoring posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hi Barry,

It is the members who decide on where a topic goes. Always. THere is no way we - the moderators - can keep that in line, no matter how many posts or threads we delete. We understand that.
And yes to some extend other members will keep certain things in line and things will auto-regulate themselves.

We - the moderators - are here to keep an eye out for things running too wild or out of hand. And only if we feel they do, then we step in.

It is fully understandable that if you represent opinion A, and someone else represents opinion B, you will be upset if opinion A becomes at some point the moderated one. At the end of the day, I think you would agree with me that these kind of threads are a bit like politics.
I'm sure you have seen moderated political debates on TV where camps A and B are having a go at each other yelling in all directions and then the moderator sitting in the middle trying to make sure everything stays civil so the viewer at home can understand what they are saying.

I think we - the moderators - kind of feel like that the last couple of days.
We don't want to silence people. If that's what we wanted - or even were instructed to do then all these threads with negative comments about Avid would be gone.

But we want to make sure that every voice get's heard equally as well. If you really look at all of these threads you will find that there are a handful of people posting their objections to Avid's policies in a very loud and repetitive manner. It has also spread out across the boards in different sections where these political subjects could be considered as COMPLETELY off topic.

Now keeping that in mind, I think you would also agree with me that the balance as of late is a bit off. And that's exactly one of the reasons why we are acting like moderators - moderating posts from time to time. In order to keep it from going too much out of hand.

You may or may not agree with that policy and I personally would probably react the same if I were in your shoes. Nobody likes to be shut down or silenced. And again, please realize that this is not what we are trying to do.
We are merely trying to keep things balanced. And if one other thing I think you would also agree that looking across the boards these last few days things have been heavily balanced towards the opinion that you represent.

But it is all good. We want you all to contribute on these boards, We want to hear your opinion but we also would like see that done with a proper amount of mutual respect.

The wizard of Oz ? I think he would have imposed his ways end of discussion.
How about scarecrow ?

Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking don't they?

Thanks
DTS, I going to disagree with you on a lot of what you've written here about your methods..

I had a thread down in General about solidairty of the folks gathering together when they found out that there were a lot of firings at Avid.. One guy posts in there a bit critical of you and you lock the thread.. That's just plain heavy handed and gives the appearance of a clamp-down, or at least a warning to others that the latitude we have enjoyed over the years is ending..

You claimed you closed it because it was duplicate to other threads.. yet it wasn't. How many duplicate threads will you shut down regarding bugs, features, etc.. et al, ad nauseum?

You've hidden the comments of folks on your facebook pages and now it looks as if you are wanting to do the same here.. About the time things start settling down Avid is finding a new way to stir it up again. Amazing.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

But we want to make sure that every voice get's heard equally as well. If you really look at all of these threads you will find that there are a handful of people posting their objections to Avid's policies in a very loud and repetitive manner. It has also spread out across the boards in different sections where these political subjects could be considered as COMPLETELY off topic.

Now keeping that in mind, I think you would also agree with me that the balance as of late is a bit off. And that's exactly one of the reasons why we are acting like moderators - moderating posts from time to time. In order to keep it from going too much out of hand.
1. I agree with the spreading across the boards! I also don't like reading in every post about this.
2. Concerning balance: Who decides what this "balance" is? So what is off balance? Avid definitely has been very generous in the past about some posts. On the other hand you guys definitely have intervened IMHO now more than before, as I recall (maybe I am wrong).
3. Keep in mind that many posts are a reaction to your company policy, especially the price policy. It is natural that a forum is a sounding board for the mood. It is also clear that some are extremely (too much IMHO) vocal about this. I have stated my standpoint, that should do.
Take the posts as feedback and I hope you deliver the message as clearly as the previous guy(s). The storm will calm down eventually, and I hope there will be some brainstorming and reflection at Avid's headquarters.

I appreciate that an Avid Tech Support still exists and am looking forward to seeing your input.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
1. I agree with the spreading across the boards! I also don't like reading in every post about this.
Thank you. Much apreciated

Quote:
2. Concerning balance: Who decides what this "balance" is? So what is off balance? Avid definitely has been very generous in the past about some posts. On the other hand you guys definitely have intervened IMHO now more than before, as I recall (maybe I am wrong).
Again, the positive comments are much appreciated but rest assured, the criticism is appreciated and above all, respected as well.
As for who decides what the balance is ? Well that would be us - the moderators. We are not being instructed are following guidelines. We are being asked to use common sense. Obviously this will vary from person to person. I hope that the balance myself and my colleagues are trying to set is if not appreciated, at least respected equally as much.

Quote:
3. Keep in mind that many posts are a reaction to your company policy, especially the price policy. It is natural that a forum is a sounding board for the mood. It is also clear that some are extremely (too much IMHO) vocal about this. I have stated my standpoint, that should do.
Take the posts as feedback and I hope you deliver the message as clearly as the previous guy(s). The storm will calm down eventually, and I hope there will be some brainstorming and reflection at Avid's headquarters.
Avid is a company that cares a lot for it's customers. WAY more then some people may want you to believe over the last couple of days. Just one example of this would be the importance we as a company attach to backwards compatibility of both hardware and software. You will find and agree that historically we have proven that over and over again. SD II files where supported until the very last second even though hardly anyone was still using them, purely to allow people to keep access to their old archived sessions should they decide one day to open them. And if it wasn't for some Operating systems preventing the continuation of that, I think we would today still support SD II.

Legacy Hardware is another example. You will be hard pressed to find a company in this industry that supports their legacy hardware as much as Avid does. It is not because at some point the latest software may or may not be compatible anymore that you wouldn't find support for it if it breaks. Whenever we can and stock of parts allow it we will allow for years after the products are no longer available through sales before we EOL (end of life) it.

Rest assured. Avid cares, and we hear you. And in this case I absolutely mean ALL of avid, including HQ.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 AM

If the threads are unbalanced it is because a majority of the posters feel the same way. If 9 people hate dog crap served in ice cream cones, no amount of moderating is going to honestly balance it with the one guy who loves it.

Antelope Zen
Creation Station
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastermouse View Post
If the threads are unbalanced it is because a majority of the posters feel the same way. If 9 people hate dog crap served in ice cream cones, no amount of moderating is going to honestly balance it with the one guy who loves it.
That is definitely one way of looking at it but I would like to show you another perspective :

A. I'm seeing a dozen or so people posting in 30 + political threads with complaints about Avid the same thing over and over again.

B. I also see a far bigger variety of different posters posting they're first experiences with Pro Tools 10 in only a few threads.

Understandable I think because the few in Group A feel like they have to paint the boards with their comments whilst the people in Group B feel like the couple of threads already there are enough to build on.

And please let's not forget about the vast majority which is the silent group C. The people that just get on with their lives and come here to seek support.

It is not because you have 30 + threads with now probably hundreds of posts in them that you can claim to be the voice of hundreds of people. But your voice is being heard. It definitely is and I would even encourage you to continue to voice your opinion - be it in a respectful and slightly more organized manner maybe.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastermouse View Post
If 9 people hate dog crap served in ice cream cones...
Wow Fastermouse, never dreamt of using a picture like this...
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I also see a far bigger variety of different posters posting they're first experiences with Pro Tools 10 in only a few threads.
I don't believe PT 10 is the problem!
I believe it is great, especially considering the amount of recoding that I assume was going on.

The one and only problem voiced in many ways seem to be the price policy.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM

@DTS

Sorry for hijacking the thread. But you seem to be most active here.

We are a few users here that bought the PTHD9 upgrade right after the launch of PT HD10 and your website clearly states that we are eligible for a free update to HD10 if bought "on or after 1 October 2011".
But, rumours say that some Coco the clown on AVID says incorrectly that the Amnesty ended October the 23rd.
Can you forward this "on or after" phrasing to your collegues to start sending out these "free upgrade" emails that some of us are still waiting for.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM

Hey DTS, how about creating a new forum section just for complaints about pricing, avid management and stock prices. I'm getting worn out trying to siphon through all the complainers to actually find out information about this system I'd like to upgrade to. Not that's there's anything wrong with complaining mind you, but the posts are just littered everywhere and confining them to one section would make it easier for someone not unhappy to find info.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Hey DTS, how about creating a new forum section just for complaints about pricing, avid management and stock prices. I'm getting worn out trying to siphon through all the complainers to actually find out information about this system I'd like to upgrade to. Not that's there's anything wrong with complaining mind you, but the posts are just littered everywhere and confining them to one section would make it easier for someone not unhappy to find info.
Seems a good idea.