Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Really need your help with my track and vocals

I like the song dude and I actually like your voice however;

The thing that strikes me the most is how much pitch 'sliding' up & down is happening.

Now that can actually be an integral part in ones style, but when employing it as a technique, the slide still needs to reach the proper pitch whether starting sharp or flat, it is not in your case. An analogy would be plucking a guitar string that is flat & winding the string up to hit it's in tune pitch whilst in sustain.

Because a slide can start off out of pitch, there is no melodic coherence unless at the proper times the right pitch is struck somewhere within the slide (most often at the end of it). There are times in your performance where it is but there are a lot where it isn't and I suspect you recognize that hence your request for help.

Ultimately like anything in music, practice makes perfect. It's really a matter of training your ear.
This is a good site but there are many others that may help.
http://www.perfectpitch.com/

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Really need your help with my track and vocals

Going along with what the others have said, that guitar is way out of tune, maybe even out on intonation. That is glaring. I will listen to a less than pro singer buy I can't tolerate and out of tune guitar.

Remember that comping (singing and fixing a line at a time) is the way EVERYONE does it. Rarely are the vocals on records done in a single take. Use the playlist function to chose the best performance of each phrase.

Smash the hell out of your vocal with 2 compressors. I doesn't fix pitch but it makes pitchiness less obvious. I always wondered how non-singers like Dylan could still sound so good. Now I know'

This is coming from someone who was a notoriously bad singer that has, with a LOT of work developed into a decent vocalist. I listened and learned.

BTW buy a membership to AIR Users Blog. Russ makes awesome videos on how to improve mixes by adding parts etc,
If you are looking for a deal you need a great demo, and if you are doing it yourself, you need to realize that you are up against the best int the world. Russ will show you how to use their tricks.

Edit, just looked at AIR Users blog and on the first page Russ does a great tutorial on comping! Titled Get The Perfect Vocal In Pro Tools

Antelope Zen
Creation Station